<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed February 11, 2003; concluded February 11, 2005)
Cynthia Mills (President, TCIA), David Marren (Director of Regulatory Affairs, Bartlett Tree Research Laboratories), and Patrick Kapust (Safety and Occupational Health Specialist, OSHA) during an implementation team meeting.
The TCIA Alliance addresses hazards facing the tree care industry, focusing primarily on
the prevention of falls and struck-by incidents, as well as electrical hazards during tree-removal. The
Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Expanding a pilot training seminar developed by OSHA's Region I Office on compliance with OSHA standards,
by delivering it to membership meetings across the country.
- Developing and delivering training in the tree care industry on topics such as struck-by prevention,
fall prevention, tree removal and electrical hazard awareness, including the guidance of the ASC Z-133 2000
- Developing or delivering presentations on relevant safety and health topics for TCIA conferences.
Outreach and communication:
- Disseminating information about the variety of safety resources available to the tree care industry from
OSHA (such as OSHA's Consultation program and Compliance Assistance Specialists) and TCIA, including
mentoring among TCIA members.
- Fostering ongoing TCIA-OSHA dialogue on regulatory and compliance trends in the tree care industry,
including joint annual review of frequently identified hazards, to assist in meeting the goals of the Alliance.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- TCIA leaders will attempt to raise others' awareness of, and demonstrate their own commitment to,
workplace safety and health in speeches and appearances.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
- March 10-13, 2005: TCIA Spring EXPO 2005, Long Beach Convention Center, Long Beach,
- March 11, 2005: Paula White, Director, Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs,
USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation on the Alliance Program and OSHA's compliance assistance
- October 28-30, 2004: TCI
EXPO '04, COBO Conference/Exhibition Center, Detroit, Michigan. OSHA shared TCIA's exhibit booth during the EXPO.
- November 13-15, 2003: 14th Annual
TCI EXPO 2003, Baltimore Convention Center, Baltimore, Maryland. OSHA exhibited during the EXPO.