Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS)
(signed October 26, 2004; renewed January 29, 2007; concluded October 26, 2008)
Through the Alliance OSHA and SDMS will work together to provide the organization's members and others in the medical community with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs). The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop and promote training and education programs on work-related MSD issues for the medical ultrasound community. (e.g.: employees, employers, educators, medical facilities, and equipment manufacturers)
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Promote and encourage SDMS members or their worksites' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on MSD and ergonomics that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on MSD and ergonomic issues related to sonography to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of October 30, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Renews Alliance with the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. OSHA News Release, (2007, February 29).
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography Joins OSHA in Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2004, October 26).
Products and Resources
- SDMS/OSHA Alliance page
- Industry Standards for the Prevention of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Sonography (PDF*). These industry standards developed through a consensus conference on Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders (WRMSD) in Sonography on May 13-14, 2003 in Dallas, Texas, address the role of employees, employers, educators, medical facilities, and equipment manufacturers in reducing the incidence and impact of these injuries on the workforce.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top