AGREEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
BILLINGS, BISMARCK, AND SIOUX FALLS AREA OFFICES OF
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
U.S. FOREST SERVICE
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF FEDERAL EMPLOYEES
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Billings, Bismarck and Sioux Falls Area Offices (OSHA), the U.S. Forest Service, Northern Region covering the states of Montana, North Dakota, and parts of South Dakota (Region 1), and the National Federation of Federal Employees, Northern Region (NFFE) recognize the value of establishing an alliance and collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA, Region 1 and NFFE hereby form an Alliance to share information, guidance and access to resources amongst Forest Service managers and employees and OSHA managers and Compliance Officers. Participants of this Alliance will summarize specific activities annually.
This Alliance will enhance Forest Service employee health and safety and will provide OSHA Compliance Officers with an understanding of safety and health hazards inherent in Region 1 operations. OSHA, Region 1 and NFFE will focus on safety and health issues including facility and field hazards, employee safety training and field hazard identification techniques, programs and methods.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following objectives related to raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives:
- The participants will participate in OSHA Leadership Meetings, Forest Service Regional Leadership meetings and workshops, to raise awareness of, and commitment to, workplace safety and health.
- The participants will convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings to help forge innovative solutions related to natural resource field-work and wildland firefighting hazards.
- Region 1 will include a requirement in all its contracts and require all of its contractors to include a requirement in all its contracts that any employer performing work under the contact will comply with the Occupational Safety and Health Act and all OSHA standards and regulations.
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education objectives:
- Enhance the training and information for Region 1's Leadership, Supervisors, Safety Committee members, and Safety and Health Managers and employees.
- OSHA will support Agency Technical Assistance Requests (ATAR) from Region 1 as resources permit.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication objectives:
- Build open lines of communication, mutual trust, and effective working relationships.
- Enhance expertise of both OSHA and Region 1 employees in recognizing hazards in field natural resource work and firefighting, and in selecting personal protective equipment (PPE).
OSHA's Alliance will provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party's products or services.
Representatives of both organizations will meet to develop a work plan, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least two times per year to track progress and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance.
This Alliance will remain in effect for a two year period. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided it gives 30-days written notice. This alliance may be modified at any time with the concurrence of all signatories. This instrument is neither a fiscal nor a funds obligation document. Any endeavor or transfer or anything of value involving reimbursement or contribution of funds between the parties to this will be handled in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and procedures.
Signed this 16th day of August, 2017.
- Eric Brooks
- Area Director
- Bismarck Area Office, OSHA
- Art Hazen
- Area Director
- Billings Area Office, OSHA
- Sheila Stanley
- Area Director
- Sioux Falls Area Office, OSHA
- Leanne Martin
- Region 1, Regional Forester
- U.S. Forest Service
- Terri Anderson
- NFFE Forest Service Council