|<< Back to Region VII
ALLIANCE ANNUAL REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Pittsburg State University
May 11, 2006 – March 11, 2008
I. Alliance Background
May 11, 2005
Pending rewrite and renewal
This Alliance addresses safety and health issues confronted primarily by youth entering the
construction industry through Pittsburg State University (PSU) and Ft. Scott Community College's
Construction Management Program. Through the alliance information, guidance and access to training
resources are provided PSU's students, business partners and others that will help them protect
employees' health and safety with particular emphasis in the areas of youth outreach/training to
reduce construction and general industry hazards.
The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
Outreach and communication:
- Develop and deliver training and education programs on various issues affecting the safety and
health of Hispanic/Latino employers and employees.
- Jointly deliver or arrange for the delivery of OSHA-specific training courses.
Implementation Team Members
- Provide OSHA expertise in the development of training and education programs for construction
and general industry regarding the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide
expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in these industries.
- Provide OSHA expertise in the development of workplace safety and health curricula on such
topics as the following: Hazard Awareness and Recognition, Benefits of an effective Safety and
Health Program, Effective Safety and Health Training and OSHA Recordkeeping.
- Seek opportunities to speak to classes, exhibit, or appear at conferences, local meetings, or
|Dr. Tom Baldwin, Dean
Dr. Jesus Rodriguez
David McDonnell, CAS
|College Of Technology, PSU
Chair, Department of Technology Management
Safety Course Chair
OSHA – Wichita Area Office
05/11/2006 – 03/11/2008
II. Implementation Team Meetings
III. Training and Education
- An implementation meeting was held in November of 2007 at the Tri State Safety and Health
Conference. At that time the Dean of the Department of Technology and the OSHA CAS discussed
renewal language for the alliance, status of the safety degree program at PSU, and expanding the
alliance to assist OSHA in future youth outreach activities.
- WAO CAS is a member of the advisory board assisting PSU in developing a safety and health
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- OSHA CAS activity
- September 2006 – Speech to Construction Management Student
- November 2006 – Presented at the 64th Annual Four State Regional Technology Conference
- May 2007 – Spoke to Construction Management Students
- November 2007– Presented at the 65th Annual Four State Regional Technology Conference held at PSU
IV. Upcoming Milestones
- OSHA and PSU are discussing ways to expand youth outreach in the state of Kansas. This will be
written into the new alliance.
- The implementation team is working on language for a new alliance for FY 2008.