|<< Back to Region VII
Regional Alliance Annual Report
Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the
Omaha Public Schools Career Center
March 2005 March 2006
March 2, 2005
This alliance establishes a collaborative relationship between the OSHA Omaha Office and the Omaha
Public Schools Career Center to provide early occupational safety and health exposure to future
workers. This alliance also affords Construction Academy students industry recognition, access to
multiple safety training resources, and additional internship opportunities.
2006-2007 Annual Goals:
- Spring 2005 OSHA staff instructed OPS career center classes. An OSHA overview and specific
safety and health-related subjects were covered.
- Spring 2005 Provided topical written and audio-visual training material to the Construction
- Summer 2005 Assisted with securing potential summer internships for students with area
- Fall 2005 OSHA staff and construction industry safety directors provided the required training
necessary to obtain the OSHA 10-hour card to eighteen Construction Academy students and one
- Winter 2005/2006 Coordinated ceremony awarding OSHA 10-hour cards to class participants.
Construction industry representatives, OPS Administrators, OSHA staff, and the media were present.
The ceremony also allowed brief public speaking opportunities for the recipients.
- OSHA alliance driver contributed as a member at quarterly OPS Construction Academy Advisory Board
Alliance Team Members:
- Spring 2006 Conduct OSHA-type mock inspections in the Career Centers wood and welding shops
utilizing a safety specialist and an industrial hygienist.
- Spring 2006 Provide specific topic presentations to Construction Academy students and staff.
- Assist with the summer internship program.
- Summer/Fall 2006 Coordinate train-the-trainer (OSHA 500 Course) education for OPS staff and
interested area instructors with the National Safety Council MOEC.
- Summer/Fall 2006 Speak to OPS industrial science personnel at the district curriculum day.
- Fall 2006 Participate/organize OSHA 10-hour training for new Construction Academy students.
- Fall 2006 Involve other OPS Career Academy programs in the alliance.
- Attend quarterly Construction Academy Advisory Board meetings.
- Meet regularly with Construction Academy coordinator to assess alliance direction and activity.
OSHA 10-Hour Class Instructors / Topics
- Andrew Naikelis Construction Academy Instructor
- Doug Fletcher CIH, CSP OSHA Compliance Assistance Specialist
- Phil Pisasale OSHA Health Compliance Officer
- David Sowl Ridgetop Holding Co. Safety Director / Cranes, Hoists
- Bruce Ross AOI Corp. Safety Director / Tools
- Ruben Bera Commonwealth Electric Co. Safety Director / Electrical
- Jim Steele Falewitch Construction Safety Director / Stairways & Ladders
- Kevin Schwartzer E & K of Omaha Safety Director / Scaffolds
- Darwin Craig OSHA / Fall Protection
- Doug Fletcher OSHA / Excavation, Health
- Phil Pisasale OSHA / Introduction, PPE