Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region VII
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Nebraska Grain and Feed Association (NGFA),
Nebraska State Fire Marshals Office (SFM) and Nebraska Workforce Development 21(d) OSHA
Consultation Program (Consultation) recognize the value of establishing a collaborative relationship
to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA, NGFA, SFM and Consultation hereby form
an Alliance to provide NGFA members and others with information, guidance, and access to training
resources that will help them protect employees health and safety, particularly in reducing and
preventing exposure to fire, explosion, engulfment, struck-by hazards, ergonomic hazards and
transportation safety issues.
OSHA, NGFA, SFM and Consultation will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- Provide expertise toward the development of training and education programs for NGFA members
regarding fire, explosion, engulfment, struck by and ergonomic hazards, and transportation safety
issues, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the
- Deliver or arrange for the delivery of OSHA 10-hour and/or other relevant safety-related courses.
- Develop a basic outline of annual training requirements as needed by NGFA members.
OSHA, NGFA, SFM and Consultation will work together to achieve the following outreach
and communication goals:
- Work with OSHA, SFM and Consultation to provide expertise in developing information on the
recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of
communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and
participants websites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at NGFA conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Cross-train OSHA, SFM, and Consultation personnel and industry safety and health professionals in
NGFs best practices or effective approaches, as jointly determined by OSHA, NGF, SFM, and
- Promote and encourage NGFA members or worksites' participation in OSHAs cooperative programs
such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, and SHARP.
- Share information among participants and industry safety and health professionals regarding NGFs
best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by NGF and through
OSHA, SFM, Consultation or NGF developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and
lectures (or any other applicable forum).
OSHA, NGF, SFM and Consultation will work together to achieve the following goals
related to promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise others awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health
whenever NGFA leaders address groups.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on hazards and
issues identified in this alliance to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide
input on safety and health issues.
OSHAs Alliances provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary, cooperative
relationship with OSHA for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and
promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health. These Alliances have proved to be
valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a
party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that partys products or services; nor does the Agency enter
into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular partys products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of all participant organizations (OSHA, SFM,
Consultation, and NGFA) will meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and
identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least
quarterly to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the
This agreement will remain in effect for two years. Any signatory may terminate their participation
for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice. This agreement may be
modified at any time with the concurrence of all signatories.
Ben Bare, CIH
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Patrick J. Ptacek
Executive Vice President
Nebraska Grain and Feed Association
Fernando Lecuona III
NE Workforce Development -
Nebraska Department of Labor
Dennis C. Hohbein
State Fire Marshal
Nebraska State Fire Marshals Office