Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region VII
Originally: September 8, 2004
Renewed: October 11, 2006
Renewed: January 26, 2009
This Alliance establishes an agreement between parties to promote and educate Nebraska employers about the value-added to business by voluntarily implementing an effective safety and health management system. The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop training and educational programs for NGF members regarding engulfment, struck by, and ergonomic hazards and transportation safety issues, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
Outreach and communication:
- Work with OSHA and Consultation to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA’s, Consultation and the NGF’s Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at NGF conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Promote and encourage NGF members’ or worksites’ participation in OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, and SHARP.
Implementation Team Members
- Pat Ptacek - Executive Vice President - NGF
- Jim Lightfoot - Compliance Officer - OSHA
- Doug Fletcher - CAS - OSHA
- Bill Hetzler - Executive Director - 21 D
Implementation Team Meetings
Implementation team meetings were suspended in lieu of regular electronic communication between alliance participants.
Contacts are made on a quarterly basis unless an issue of more immediate concern arises.
Activities and Products
The primary training event each year for this Alliance is the Nebraska Grain & Feed Association Annual Conference. OSHA provides training and a booth each year which has over 1,000 attendees. This conference is held each year in December.
In addition, this year the NGFA Annual “Safety Day” conference was devoted to issues surrounding bin entry, confined space entry, LOTO, and training. OSHA was invited to provide half-day training on these topics. Over 120 attendees, representing grain elevator safety directors and owners, operators, coops, and ethanol plant representatives.
Please reference the table under Results for further information.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training,
Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|12/04/09 Electronic Information Bulletin: distributed by the CAS, this email broadcast included information on NE fatalities, Tempel Grain fatality, a new Letter of Interpretation on Sweep Auger use in grain bins, compliance assistance tools, OSHA updates, etc.
||Distributed to the NGFA contact point for dissemination throughout the association.
> 400 “member elevators, 200 “associate members” including various support industries, and 140 corporate elevator headquarters
|01/12/10 Ag Coop Safety Directors monthly meeting. Provided training on Control of Hazardous Energy, with Q&A.
||40 grain elevator safety directors or mgrs.
|3/30/10 NGFA Safety Day. Half-day presentation on LOTO, CSE, Bin Entry and a discussion of .272.
||~120 representatives of elevators, co-ops, and ethanol plants.
|6/09/10 NGFA sponsored “Bin Rescue Course”. OSHA provided information and publications. Fire Marshall’s office provided training to ~ 50 elevator safety representatives.
||~ 50 attendees.
|9/29 – 30/10 National Grain & Feed Association and The Grain Journal – 2010 Safety, Health and Environmental Quality Conference
||~200 attendees from across the country at this conference. OSHA sponsored a booth at this two-day event and provided information and publications.
This Alliance continued to serve as a valuable conduit into a hard to reach sector. Elevators are often located in rural, isolated communities that otherwise might experience very little OSHA presence. This arrangement with the Nebraska Grain & Feed Association has led to numerous contacts that otherwise would not have been possible. At this time the alliance is concluding.
Report prepared by Doug Fletcher, Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA Omaha Area Office.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA's web page.