ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
4/13/2015 – 4/13/2016
- Alliance Background
1/13/2006 – original signed
1/13/2008 – expiration date of original
10/23/2008 – re-signed
4/17/2012 – signed a new agreement with the Des Moines Area Office
5/19/2014 – re-signed
Pending Renewal: Plans have been made with Viridiana Miranda and a meeting tentatively scheduled for July 12, 2016. The alliance will be resigned during Labor Rights Week August 29th – September 2nd.
The parties intend, through this Arrangement, to establish a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources in an effort to help Mexican citizens working in Nebraska to protect their working conditions and labor rights, including their health and safety. The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
- To deliver or arrange for the delivery of workers’ rights courses and courses regarding health and safety in food processing, construction, and cleaning services.
Outreach and communication:
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or the Consulate’s conferences, local meetings, or other appropriate events.
- To participate in ‘Mobile Consulate’ activities and events.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To raise awareness of and demonstrate commitment to workplace safety and health and workers’ rights whenever leaders from the Participants address groups.
- To share information on applicable labor laws and standards, including those relating to workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers.
Implementation Team Members
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
- Valeria V. Rodriquez Mora, Department of Protection (2014)
- Olga Morales, Department of Protection (2015)
OSHA – Omaha Area Office:
- Bernard Hauber, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS)
- Jeff Funke, Area Director
04/13/15 – 04/13/16
- • 07/17/15
- The CAS met with Guadalupe Sanchez Salazar to discuss future activity.
- • 07/26/15
- The CAS discussed Labor Rights Week met with M. Guadalupe Sánchez Salazar (Consul) & Consulate staff to discuss Labor Rights week and the arrival of a new area director to the Omaha area office in August of 2016.
- • 08/19/15
- The CAS met with representatives from the Consulate and the Heartland Workers Center. Both parties collaborated relative to Labor Rights Week. Plans were made for the inauguration ceremony on August 31, 2015.
Training and Education
- See Outreach and Communication below.
Outreach and Communication
- Labor Rights Week, 8/31 – 9/4/2015, the CAS and Area Director– this is the largest activity of the year for the Alliance. On 8/31/15, an opening ceremony was held at the Consulate, featuring M. Guadalupe Sánchez Salazar, Consul, and Jeff Funke, Omaha Area Director. Following the ceremony, an Omaha bi-lingual CSHO provided an overview of OSHA services and fielded questions from the attendees and Consulate patrons. During the week, a variety of labor-related government agencies and local businesses that serve the Latino community were scheduled to visit the Consulate. The events were publicized by the Consulate on Radio Lobo, NE Public Television, and via the Consulate email.
- On September 3, 2015 the CAS and Area Director attended a meeting at the Heartland Workers Center in South Omaha. A presentation about OSHA was given to 20 participants.
- On September 4, 2015, a CSHO gave an introduction to OSHA speech to an audience of around 40 in the Consulate waiting area with translation help from Lizet Reyes from Consulate of Mexico.
- Omaha Area Office and other participant agencies regularly provide materials for distribution at the Consulate, and for use at Mobile Consulate activities held in Nebraska and Iowa.
- The Mexican Consulate has continued to be available for translation assistance to the Omaha Area Office as part of this alliance. Additionally, the Consulate is available to assist the Omaha Area Office whenever correspondence needs to be delivered to recipients in Mexico.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Events: Nothing to report
|Type of Activity||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained|
|Heat Stress announcements and links via email 09/04/15||unknown|
|US – Mexico National Labor Rights Week 08/31/2015||
Opening Ceremony ~ 50
|Heartland Workers Center in South Omaha||OSHA Presentation/Q&A ~ 20|
|Introduction to OSHA and Worker’s Rights Presentation 09/04/15||OSHA Presentation/Q&A ~ 40|
|Totals||150 – face to face|
- Labor Rights Week, 8/29 – 09/02/2016 – this is the largest activity of the year for the Alliance. On 8/29/16, an opening ceremony will be held at the Consulate, and the AD will attend. The AD plans on explaining OSHA’s mission and our current activities. On 9/2/2016, OSHA representative(s) will give an “Introduction to OSHA” speech at the Mexican Consulate in Omaha, NE. The AD and CSHO will attend this event and will field questions from the attendees and Consulate patrons.
- The alliance is projected to be renewed in August 2016. The Omaha Area Office will continue to work with the Consulate to find ways to reach and educate Latino workers in Nebraska.
Report Prepared by: Jeff Funke Area Director, Omaha Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top