ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
4/13/2014 – 4/13/2015
- Alliance Background
1/13/2006 – original signed
1/13/2008 – expiration date of original
10/23/2008 – re-signed
4/17/2012 – signed a new agreement with the Des Moines Area Office
5/19/2014 – re-signed
Pending Renewal: May, 2016
The parties intend, through this Arrangement, to establish a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources in an effort to help Mexican citizens working in Nebraska to protect their working conditions and labor rights, including their health and safety. The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
- To deliver or arrange for the delivery of workers’ rights courses and courses regarding health and safety in food processing, construction, and cleaning services.
Outreach and communication:
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or the Consulate’s conferences, local meetings, or other appropriate events.
- To participate in ‘Mobile Consulate’ activities and events.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To raise awareness of and demonstrate commitment to workplace safety and health and workers’ rights whenever leaders from the Participants address groups.
- To share information on applicable labor laws and standards, including those relating to workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers.
Implementation Team Members
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
- Valeria V. Rodriquez Mora, Department of Protection (2014)
- Olga Morales, Department of Protection (2015)
OSHA – Omaha Area Office:
- Bernard Hauber, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS)
OSHA – Des Moines Area Office:
- Larry O. Davidson, Sr., Area Director
Nebraska Workers Compensation Court
- Glenn W. Morton, Administrator
Nebraska Department of Labor
- Catherine D. Lang, Commissioner of Labor
04/13/14 – 04/13/15
- 05/19/14 The AD and CAS met with Consul Espejel and Consulate staff to sign the new alliance (MOU) and discuss future activity.
- 08/25/14 Labor Rights Week [with M. Guadalupe Sánchez Salazar (Consul) & Consulate staff]
- 12/12/14 The CAS and Yessenia Valadez (Safety Assistant) held meeting with Consul Sánchez & Valeria Valentina Rodríguez Mora (de Protección) in the OSHA conference room. Also present via phone/web was Larry Davidson [Area Director (AD) for the Des Moines Area Office] & Larry O’Mohundro [Compliance Safety and Health Officer (CSHO) with the Des Moines Area Office]. We discussed mobile consulate activity and possible training opportunities & subjects.
Training and Education
- See Outreach and Communication below.
Outreach and Communication
- On June 2 2014, the CAS provided heat stress announcements and links to Latino community via our Mexican consulate alliance [Valeria Valentina Rodríguez Mora (de Protección)].
- Labor Rights Week, 8/25 – 8/29/2014 – this is the largest activity of the year for the Alliance. On 8/25/14, an opening ceremony was held at the Consulate, featuring M. Guadalupe Sánchez Salazar, Consul, and Bonita Winingham, Omaha Area Director. Following the ceremony, an Omaha bi-lingual CSHO provided an overview of OSHA services and fielded questions from the attendees and Consulate patrons. During the week, a variety of labor-related government agencies and local businesses that serve the Latino community were scheduled to visit the Consulate. The events were publicized by the Consulate on Radio Lobo, NE Public Television, and via the Consulate email.
- On December 19, 2014, the CAS gave an introduction to OSHA speech to an audience of around 50 in the Consulate waiting area with translation help from Everardo Acosta of the Consulate.
- The Omaha Area Office and other participant agencies regularly provide materials for distribution at the Consulate, and for use at Mobile Consulate activities held in Nebraska and Iowa.
- The Mexican Consulate has continued to be available for translation assistance to the Omaha Area Office as part of this alliance. Additionally, the Consulate is available to assist the Omaha Area Office whenever correspondence needs to be delivered to recipients in Mexico.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Events: Nothing to report
|Type of Activity||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained|
|Heat Stress announcements and links via email 06/02/14||unknown|
US – Mexico National Labor Rights Week
Opening Ceremony ~ 50
|Introduction to OSHA and Worker’s Rights Presentation 12/19/14||OSHA Presentation/Q&A ~ 50|
|Totals||150 – face to face|
- Labor Rights Week, 8/31 – 09/04/2015 – this is the largest activity of the year for the Alliance. On 8/31/15, an opening ceremony will be held at the Consulate, and the AD and CAS will attend. The AD plans on explaining OSHA’s mission and our current activities. On 9/4/2015, OSHA representative(s) will give an “Introduction to OSHA” speech at the Mexican Consulate in Omaha, NE. The AD and CSHO will attend this event and will field questions from the attendees and Consulate patrons.
- The alliance is projected to be renewed in May 2016. The Omaha Area Office will continue to work with the Consulate to find ways to reach and educate Latino workers in Nebraska.
Report Prepared by: Bernard Hauber, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Omaha Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top