ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
1/13/2012 – 1/13/2013
- Alliance Background
1/13/2006 – original signed
1/13/2008 – expiration date of original
10/23/2008 – re-signed
4/17/2012 – signed a new agreement with the Des Moines Area Office
The parties intend, through this Arrangement, to establish a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources in an effort to help Mexican citizens working in Nebraska to protect their working conditions and labor rights, including their health and safety. The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
- To deliver or arrange for the delivery of workers’ rights courses and courses regarding health and safety in food processing, construction, and cleaning services.
Outreach and communication:
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or the Consulate’s conferences, local meetings, or other appropriate events.
- To participate in ‘Mobile Consulate’ activities and events.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To raise awareness of and demonstrate commitment to workplace safety and health and workers’ rights whenever leaders from the Participants address groups.
- To share information on applicable labor laws and standards, including those relating to workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers.
Implementation Team Members
Mexican Consulate of Omaha
- Valeria V. Rodriquez Mora, Department of Protection
OSHA – Omaha Area Office:
- Doug Fletcher, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS)
Nebraska Workers Compensation Court
- Su Perk Davis, Public Information Manager
Nebraska Department of Labor, Safety and Labor Law
- William Hetzler, Executive Director
USDOL – Wage & Hour
- Richard Tesarek, District Director
01/13/12 – 01/13/13
- NOTE: due to the lengthy delay in the review and approval of this arrangement, the initial implementation team meeting did not occur until the date of signing.
- 04/17/12 meeting with Consul, Area Director, and Ms. Rodriguez
- 07/31/12 meeting with Consulate staff and CAS
- 08/22/12 planning meeting for Labor Rights Week with Consulate staff and CAS
Training and Education
- Nothing to report.
Outreach and Communication
- On January 27, 2012, the CAS gave a short presentation to (75) attendees of the Nebraska Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (NHCC) meeting, discussing employee rights. The Omaha Area Office became a member of the NHCC after being invited as a guest speaker by the Consulate during CY 11.
- In April, 2012, the CAS provided OSHA’s Heat Stress Media Package, including PSA’s in English and Spanish, to local radio station FM 97.7, Radio Lobo. The CAS had been introduced to the Radio Lobo Program Director through a meeting with representatives of the Consulate. The station broadcast the PSA’s during its Wednesday evening “Community Connections” programs. Radio Lobo is broadcast in Spanish to an estimated listening audience of between 75,000 – 100,000 Spanish-speakers in eastern Nebraska and western Iowa.
- On June 1, 2012, a bi-lingual Compliance Safety and Health Officer (CSHO) participated with Consulate staff on their monthly Nebraska Public Television cable access program. The CSHO provided information about OSHA services, the local Area Office, employee rights, the complaint process, and whistleblower protections. The 30” broadcast was conducted in Spanish.
- Labor Rights Week; 8/27 – 8/31/2012 – this is the largest activity of the year for the Alliance. On 7/31 and 8/22/12, members of the Alliance committee met to plan activities for Labor Rights Week. On 8/27/12, an opening ceremony was held at the Consulate, featuring Mr. Jorge Ernesto Espejel Montes, Consul, and Ms. Bonita Winingham, Omaha Area Director. Following the ceremony the CAS provided an overview of OSHA services and fielded questions from the attendees and Consulate patrons. During the week, a variety of labor-related government agencies and local businesses that serve the Latino community were scheduled to visit the Consulate, set up a booth and provide literature and information to Consulate customers. This group included the US DOL – Wage & Hour as well as the Nebraska Department of Labor. The events were publicized by the Consulate on Radio Lobo, NE Public Television, and via the Consulate email.
- The Omaha Area Office and other participant agencies regularly provide materials for distribution at the Consulate, and for use at Mobile Consulate activities held in Nebraska and Iowa.
- The Mexican Consulate has continued to provide valuable translation assistance to the Omaha Area Office as part of this alliance. Additionally, the Consulate provides assistance to the Omaha Area Office whenever correspondence needs to be delivered to recipients in Mexico. During CY 12, the Consulate made multiple referrals of workplace safety and Whistleblower violations to the Omaha Area Office. The Area Office has developed an outstanding relationship with the Consulate staff.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Events: Nothing to report
|Type of Activity||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained|
|Hispanic Chamber of Commerce presentation||75 – Representatives of local Latino businesses, and organizations that serve the Latino community.|
|Radio Lobo – Heat Stress Media campaign||75,000 – 100,000 – radio listeners in eastern NE and western IA. OSHA PSA’s on Heat Stress were broadcast (in Spanish) by the station throughout April and May, 2012.|
|NE Public Television – Consulate monthly programming||Number of viewers unknown. OSHA representative participated in monthly informational broadcast in Spanish.|
US – Mexico National Labor Rights Week
Opening Ceremony ~ 50
175 – face to face;
Renewal of this alliance has once again proven to be difficult. Regardless, the OAO will continue to work with the Consulate to find ways to reach and educate Latino workers in Nebraska.
Report Prepared by: Doug Fletcher, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Omaha Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top