Iowa Illinois Safety Council (IISC)
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
May 13, 2010
April 29, 2009
To provide IISC members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical, fall, noise, portable tools, lawnmower, snow removal, heat and cold hazards by addressing hazards through a safety starts at home program.
- Bonita Winingham
- Area Director, Des Moines Area Office
- Laura Johnson
- Executive Director, Iowa Illinois Safety Council
- Margret Meade
- Director of Program Development and Training, Iowa Illinois Safety Council
- Mary McLaughlin
- Compliance Officer Des Moines Area Office
April 29, 2009 – April 29, 2010
April 29, 2009 In-person Signature meeting May 28, 2009 In-Person Implementation meeting January 29, 2010 In-Person meeting to review outreach activities March 15, 2010 In-Person meeting to review outreach activities
Events and Products
Training and Education
The industrial hygienist from the Des Moines Area Office attended the Iowa/Illinois Safety Council conference in Dubuque, IA on April 21 – April 23, 2010.
The Iowa/Illinois safety and health council offers online training through the National Safety Council for Defensive Driving and First Aid/CPR
Outreach and Communication
- July 8, 2009 – Presentation on Poison Prevention in the Home to the Federal Safety and Health Council
- October 24, 2009 - Southland neighborhood Electrical Safety for the home
- October 31, 2009 - On WHO radio on Halloween Safety
- January 17, 2010 - Rolling Green Elementary – poison prevention at home
- February 13, 2010 – Rolling Green Elementary Pancake Breakfast – seat belts and booster seats
The Council has a Monthly Newsletter that reaches some 1200 members and includes various safety and health information including articles such as "Portable Generator Hazards"; Toy Safety in December; Cooking Safety in November; Heart Care in February.
In August, 2009, Iowa Illinois set up a Facebook page with automatic daily widget updates on many safety subjects including “Safety at Home topics”
- For example, November: included:
- National Poison Prevention Week Poster Contest
- Safety information on the use of outdoor gas-fueled turkey fryers that immerse the turkey in hot oil
- One of January topics: Home Safety Council's Free Community Sprinkler Education Materials use of a virtual tour to identify safety hazards in the home.
- Safety Recall information such as:
- Children's and Infants' Tylenol Oral Suspension Products – Recall
- Howard Berger Recalls Extension Cords and Power Strips Due to Fire Hazard
- Safety Shorts Links such as
- Flood Safety
- They also post Region VII Disaster Facts on their OSHA webpage.
As part of the Alliance the Des Moines Area Office shares the Iowa Illinois Safety Council newsletters, training e-mails and other information with Des Moines Area Office’s 130 stakeholders via electronic mail.
- For example, November: included:
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
The alliance has brought together not only the signatory groups but other groups who interact with the Hispanic population in Iowa. The group is still interested in providing a train-the-trainer session where the signatory groups will train other groups on the services they offer. The goal of this training is to educate organizations in Iowa that interact with the Latino community which will allow for better referrals to the correct group or Agency.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Presentation on Poison Prevention in the Home at the FSHC 10 WHO radio taped broadcast covering Halloween Safety on October 31, 2009 (played every hour) 50,000 Watt station. Daytime listener base covers the State of Iowa, (~2 million adults) and portions of IL, NE, MN, and MO. Central IA adult population: about 250,000 Rolling Green Elementary – poison prevention at home 200 Southland neighborhood Electrical Safety for the home 110 Rolling Green Elementary Pancake Breakfast – seat belts and booster seats 200 Monthly Newsletter 1200 DMAO Stakeholder E-mails 130 E-Connection Safety Solutions – Electronic notices 1,935 TOTAL
(The minimum total impacted through IISC presentations; monthly newsletter and DMAO stakeholder e-mails)
OSHA will begin writing articles on a quarterly basis for inclusion in the IISC newsletter.
An Action Plan for the upcoming year will be developed to improve the overall effectiveness of the alliance.