Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region VI
August 11, 2005
Renewed: August 21, 2007
Renewed: October 2009
OSHA, Printpack and TEEX formed this Alliance to provide members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employee’s health and safety particularly in reducing and preventing exposures to workplace hazards involved with the production of packaging for food, personal care and pet products.
Implementation Team Members.
Mike Talmont – Cooperative and State Program Coordinator, OSHA Region VI
Susan Slagle – Project Manager, TEEX
Todd Wiederhold – Director of Environmental, Health & Safety, Printpack, Inc
- Implementation Team Metings:
No meetings were held this evaluation period.
- Activities and Products
9/2009 – 10/05/2010
- Twenty five (25) Printpack associates from nineteen (19) different facilities completed the CSHO II certification through the TEEX OSHA Training Institute Southwest Education Center.
- Ford Best of Printpack was instrumental in working with TEEX in the establishment of an alliance with San Juan College in Farmington, New Mexico to allow the TEEX CSHO certification to qualify for 18 hours of college credit that can be applied to an Associates of Applied Science in Occupational Safety, which can be continued to earn a Bachelors degree. Several Printpack associates are pursuing their degree through San Juan College.
- Printpack associates participated in providing promotional material in support of the CSHO certification courses provided by TEEX.
- Printpack has two (2) VPP Special Government Employees (Bobby Church, Jamie Brumbelow) that provide support to both internal and external sites seeking VPP certification. Printpack SGEs participated in VPP pre-certification audits at the Valspar facility in Covington, Georgia prior to it receiving its STAR certification 2009. Bobby Church is VPP Mentor for the Coca-Cola North America Atlanta Syrup Plant.
- Recordable incident rate: Before signing the Alliance (FY04) = 3.7
Current incident rate (FY10) = 1.89
- Insurance experience modifier: As of July 2006 = 0.68
As of July 2009 = 0.57
- During the last evaluation period, two (2) Printpack locations were awarded OSHA VPP STAR approval (St. Louis, MO; Prescott Valley, AZ), and Printpack’s Villa Rica, GA facility was recertified as an OSHA VPP STAR site. Printpack now has four (4) locations that are OSHA VPP STAR sites. The CSHO training Printpack Safety Coordinators have received from TEEX has been instrumental in our ability to lead our VPP efforts.
- Upcoming Milestones
- Printpack currently has two (2) facilities located in Texas that have submitted VPP applications, and several other facilities in various phases of preparing for VPP.
- Printpack managements has established a goal to have all US-based Printpack facilities (20 sites) VPP STAR certified by June 2015.
Report Prepared by: Todd Wiederhold