Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
Date Signed - 09/09/2008 and renewed on 09/14/2010 and 09/11/2012
To promote safe and healthful working conditions for workers in the Permian Basin who are engaged in one form or another in the business of oil and gas and also to help people get into, stay in, expand and improve their small business in the Permian Basin area which includes southeast New Mexico. Provide employers with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them provide to their employees knowledge of safety and health hazards of construction and general industry with a focus on the four major hazards: falls, electrical, struck by and caught in between.
Evaluation Period - 09-2011 through 09/2012
Implementation Team Meetings
01/10/2012 (OSHA didn't attend due to bad weather)
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- Events - Presentations and training provided at the PBSTEPS monthly meetings
- October 11, 2011: BP - Hazard Assessment and FRC; Gas Clip H2S Monitor; OSHA Update
- November 08, 2011: Holiday Safety; Snakebite safety; Drilling Rig 101; OSHA Update
- December 13, 2011: NIOSH In-Vehicle Monitoring System; CBS Channel 7 Smoke Detection and Home Safety; OSHA
- January 10, 2012: Fine Art of Listening
- February 14, 2012: Heart Attack and Stroke; Sudden Cardiac Arrest and AEDs; Distracted Driving
- March 13, 2012: H2S; Lessons Learned and Best Practices; OSHA Update
- April 10, 2012: Effective Driving - by the Texas Department of Public Safety; Employee Communication; Union Pacific Railroad and Operation Life Saver (rail crossing); OSHA Update
- May 08, 2012: Vendor Day
- June 12, 2012: Oilfield Safety for Schools; Global Harmonizing; IADC Update
- July 10, 2012: FR Technology; Gas Detection 101; Give Safety a Hand; OSHA Update
- August 14, 2012: Time is Brain by Odessa Hospital; OSHA Update
- September 11, 2012: Sleep Apnea by Watermark Medical; Critters of the Llano Estacado; Saving Lives by Helicopter.
- Products: PowerPoints for most of the presentations are available for download on the PBSTEPS (www.pbsteps.com) website.
- Events: All of the events (meetings) that occur monthly have some element of outreach. An OSHA representative is almost always present.
- Products: STOP THE HURT Campaign
No "products" have yet to be developed under this alliance. However, the concept of this network has grown throughout Region VI as well as other Regions in OSHA. This group continues to enjoy being the best attended meeting in the region.
- The group has implemented a program called "Stop the Hurt" where company employees are encouraged to stop work in the event they believe that something, or someone is doing something unsafe. Companies have donated money to give away to the best, actual scenario where an hourly employee has stepped up and stopped a job because of unsafe work practices. The PBSTEPS intends to continue this program into the next year.
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Events: Each meeting has some element of dialogue on workplace safety.
- This network enjoys a large attendance each month; routinely, over 120 persons attend representing 100 or more companies involved in oil and gas. There has been over 800 people sign-in and attend at least once in the past 12 months.
- This network provides free training as much as possible. There was a class on H2S provided free to anyone who wanted to attend. This was put on by TEEX.
- Results This Safety Network has enjoyed great success. There is a website and many companies involved help sponsor the meeting place and refreshments for the monthly meetings. Involvement is key and each month, the involvement grows. Most of the attendees are safety personnel from companies and the information/training they receive from these meetings is taken back to the employee population of each company which makes the total magnified by thousands.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|1. October 11: Hazard Assessment
|2. November 8: Holiday Safety; Snakebite safety
|3. December 13: Food Drive and NIOSH In-Vehicle Monitoring System
|4. January 10: Fine Art of Listening
||40 (Heavy snow fall, bad weather)
|5. February 14: Heart Attack and Stroke
|6. March 13: H2S, Lessons Learned
|7. April 10: Effective Driving
|8. May 08: Vendor Day
||30 Vendors (OSHA had a Booth)
(about 200 folks walked through)
|9. June 12: Oilfield Safety
|10. July 10: FR Technology
|11. August 14: Time is Brain
|12: September 11: Sleep Apnea
- Upcoming Milestones
The Permian Basin STEPS Network has exceeded expectations as far as content and involvement of the oil and gas community. Out of this and the south Texas network, others have continued to blossom throughout the region as well as in other OSHA regions. This network has a food drive every Christmas season since it's inception and each year, the number of pounds of food increases.
This network looks forward to continuing their association with the El Paso AO and the Lubbock DO.