Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
Date Signed: September 21, 2010
End Date: September 21, 2012
OSHA and the Greater Houston STEPS Network formed an Alliance to provide companies involved in the oil and gas exploration and production industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to occupational safety and health hazards such as electrical, falls, struck-by, and caught-between hazards in the construction industry pertaining to Hispanic workers.
Implementation team Members:
Greater Houston STEPS
John Stephens, President/Past President
Jason Lucas, President
Jim Shelton, Houston North AO
September 21, 2011 through September 21, 2012
- Implementation Team Meetings:
The Houston North Compliance Assistance Specialist attends monthly meeting providing OSHA updates and other assistance to the Greater Houston STEPS committee. The committee generally meets monthly at the STEPS meetings and through email.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- Events - Monthly meetings with 2-3 presenters on safety and health topics related to the exploration and production industry
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Monthly meetings
- Greater Houston STEPS website which contains pertinent safety information related to the oil and gas industry and averages approximately 1,000 hits per year
- Distributed short term suggestions for compliance to 700 oil and gas companies through the Houston STEPS network
- Events - The Greater Houston STEPS and its members participated with other STEPS networks, groups, associations, and OSHA on silica exposures during hydraulic fracturing work group.
Since the inception of this Alliance in 2010, the Greater Houston STEPS group has been meeting monthly with an average attendance of 50 representatives in the oil and gas industry. The alliance provides opportunities for outreach to the oil and gas industry and the distribution of safety and health information through the network.
- Upcoming Milestones
Although the Alliance concludes in 2012 it is expected to be resigned once the new 2013 executive committee assumes their positions.