|<< Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
Establish a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources to the instructors and students.
- Implementation Team Members
Michael Rivera, AAD, OSHA El Paso District Office
Sheila Schulmeyer - CAS, OSHA Lubbock and El Paso Offices
Juan Lechuga- Career Technical Training Manager, Job Corps
Enrique Serrano- Career Technical Training Instructor
Joel Hernandez- Safety Officer
Stanley King- Safety and Security Manager
John O. Crosby - David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center Director
Richard F. Tapio - Former OSHA Area Director, Lubbock and El Paso
Abraham Arzola - Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA El Paso Area Office
06/26/2010 - 06/26/2011
Implementation Team Meetings
Actual implementation team meeting was held 03/13/2008
Contact has been continuous with the El Paso District Office during the term of the Alliance, in that the compliance staff has visited and offered help when needed. Team meeting was held on June 23, 2011 at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- The site continues to administer the OSHA General Industry 10 hour course to the students.
- The Safety/Security Manager and/or the Safety Officer provided staff and students with the following training sessions during this period:
a) Personal Protective Equipment
b) Slips, Trips and Falls: Stronger than Friction
c) Office Safety: It's a Jungle in There
d) GSA Vehicle Safety Orientation and Van Road Test
e) Defensive Driving for School Bus Drivers and Bus Road Familiarization
f) The Safe Operation of Utility Cars
g) Zero Fatalities: Texting and Driving
Outreach and Communication
- Maria Orona, Ready Teams Coordinator provided a 20-hour training seminar to 27 staff members and 34 students on the following topics: The site continues to administer the OSHA General Industry 10 hour course to the students.
a) Introduction to Disaster Response
b) Medical Operations
c) Fire Suppression
d) Disaster Psychology
e) Light Search and Rescue
- Abraham Arzola, OSHA Compliance Assistance Specialist, toured the Job Corp Center on June 23, 2011 and made recommendations for safety improvements.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Center continues to established policies and procedures to promote a safe environment in the workplace.
- The Safety and Occupational Health Committee holds monthly meetings to report and eliminate any potential safety hazards, including a walkthrough of the Center performed by students who report any safety concerns for corrective action.
- An independent contractor conducts quarterly Environmental inspections of the Career Technical Training, Academic Education, and Social Development areas, including the swimming pool.
- The City of El Paso Public Health department conducts quarterly inspections of the Food Service Department.
- The Center conducts monthly Fire Drills.
- The Safety Officer conducts monthly Environmental and Safety inspection of Center premises reporting any deficiencies for corrective action.
- The Safety Officer provides new staff and students with safety orientation training including Center policies and procedures, fire prevention and bloodborne pathogens. Staff also receives training in Office safety.
- The Safety Officer ensures that the annual licensing of fire alarms is done.
- The City of El Paso Fire Department conducts random inspections to ensure the Center is in compliance with city ordinances.
- The Safety and Security Department, in coordination with the Fire Department, conduct a semiannual live fire extinguishing activity for staff and students.
- A Pre-Survey Job Safety Analysis is conducted by the Safety Officer prior to the start of any projects on Center.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
10 Hour OSHA General Industry Course
93 students were trained and acquired the 10 Hour OSHA Card
Introduction to Disaster Response
27 Staff and 34 Students
- Upcoming Milestones