Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
Date Signed: June 26, 2008 and resigned on August 26, 2010.
Alliance between the United States Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center was established as a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources to the instructors and students of Job Corps.
- Implementation Team Members
Abraham Arzola, CAS, OSHA El Paso Area Office
Joann J. Figueroa, OSHA Area Director El Paso and Lubbock
John O. Crosby, David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center Director
Victor Marquez, Career Technical Training Manager, Job Corps
Salvador Espinoza Jr., Job Corps Career Technical Credentials Specialist
Joel Hernandez, Job Corps Safety Officer and (Acting Manager)
06/26/2011 - 06/26/2012
Implementation Team Meetings
Contact has been continuous with the El Paso Area Office during the term of the Alliance. An Alliance planning meeting was scheduled and held on February 7, 2012, and a review of the Alliance agreement, goals and events was conducted by Mr. Crosby, Mr. Marquez, Mrs. Figueroa and Mr. Arzola.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- The site continues to administer the OSHA General Industry and Construction 10 hour training courses to Center students.
- The Safety/Security Manager(Acting) and/or the Safety Officer provided staff and students with the following training sessions during this period:
a) Personal Protective Equipment
b) Slips, Trips and Falls: Stronger than Friction
c) Office Safety: It's a Jungle in There
d) GSA Vehicle Safety Orientation and Van Road Test
e) Defensive Driving for School Bus Drivers and Bus Road Familiarization
f) The Safe Operation of Utility Cars
g) Zero Fatalities: Texting and Driving
- Job Corps scheduled and held a Safety Training Session for 150 staff members on the following topics:
a) Material Safety Data Sheets
b) Fall Protection
- Abraham Arzola, OSHA Compliance Assistance Specialist, held a roundtable meeting and presented the All About OSHA to twenty staff personnel at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on February 23, 2012.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Center continues to established policies and procedures to promote a safe environment in the workplace.
- The Safety and Occupational Health Committee holds monthly meetings to report and eliminate any potential safety hazards, including a walkthrough of the Center performed by students who report any safety concerns for corrective action.
- An independent contractor conducts quarterly Environmental inspections of the Career Technical Training Trades, Academic Education, and Social Development areas, including the swimming pool.
- The City of El Paso Public Health department conducts quarterly inspections of the Food Service Department.
- The Center conducts monthly Fire Drills.
- The Safety Officer conducts monthly Environmental and Safety inspections of Center premises reporting any deficiencies for corrective action to the appropriate department heads.
- The Safety Officer provides new staff and students with safety orientation training including Center policies and procedures, fire prevention and bloodborne pathogens. Staff also receives training in Office safety.
- The Safety Officer ensures that the annual licensing of fire alarms is done.
- The City of El Paso Fire Department conducts random inspections to ensure the Center is in compliance with city ordinances.
- The Safety and Security Department, in coordination with the Fire Department, conduct a semiannual live fire extinguishing activity for staff and students.
- A Pre-Survey Job Safety Analysis is conducted by the Safety Officer prior to the start of any projects on Center.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|10 Hour OSHA General Industry Course
||23 students were trained and acquired the 10 Hour OSHA Card
|10 Hour OSHA Construction Course
||100 students were trained and acquired the 10 Hour OSHA Card
|Job Corps Safety Training
||150 Staff members were trained
|All About OSHA Presentation
||20 Staff members