Back to Region VI
Establish a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources to the instructors and students.
- Implementation Team Members
Sheila Schulmeyer, CAS, OSHA El Paso and Lubbock Offices
Juan Lechuga, Career Technical Training Manager, Job Corps
Enrique Serrano, Career Technical Training Instructor
Robert Reynaud, Safety Officer (Joel Hernandez, New Safety Officer)
Stanley King, Safety and Security Manager
John O. Crosby, David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center Director
Richard F. Tapio, Former OSHA Area Director, Lubbock and El Paso; Jack Rector, new Area Director, El Paso Area Office.
06/26/2009 – 06/26/2010
Implementation Team Meetings
An implementation team meeting was held 02/23/2010.
Contact has been continuous with the El Paso Area Office during the term of the Alliance, in that the compliance staff has visited and offered help when needed. Mr. Lechuga met with Mr. Jack Rector and Sheila Schulmeyer of the local OSHA Area Office to acquaint Mr. Rector with the Job Corp facility mission.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
The site administers the OSHA 10 hour course to the students.
- The Safety/Security Manager and/or the Safety Officer provided staff and students with the following training sessions during this period:
- a) Personal Protective Equipment
- b) Slips, Trips and Falls: Stronger that Friction
- c) Fire Safety for Schools: Sound the Alarm
- d) Emergency Evacuation and Emergency Reaction to Fire, Live Shooter and Sheltering in Place
- e) Back/Ergonomics Safety and Lifting Techniques
- f) The Safe Operation of Utility Cars
- g) Emergency Response (Spill Kits)
Outreach and Communication
- Sheila Schulmeyer, OSHA Compliance Assistant Specialist, and Jack Rector, new OSHA Area Director, conducted a tour of the Career Technical Training facilities on February 23, 2010, making recommendations as appropriate.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Center continues to established policies and procedures to promote a safe environment in the workplace.
- The Safety and Occupational Health Committee holds monthly meetings to report and eliminate any potential safety hazards, including a walkthrough of the Center performed by students who report any safety concerns for corrective action.
- An independent contractor conducts quarterly Environmental inspections of the Career Technical Training, Academic Education, and Social Development areas, including the swimming pool.
- The City of El Paso Public Health department conducts quarterly inspections of the Food Service Department.
- The Center conducts monthly Fire Drills.
- The Safety Officer conducts monthly Environmental and Safety inspection of Center premises reporting any deficiencies for corrective action.
- The Safety Officer provides new staff and students with safety orientation training including Center policies and procedures, fire prevention and bloodborne pathogens. Staff also receives training in Office safety.
- The Safety Officer ensures that the annual licensing of fire alarms is done.
- The City of El Paso Fire Department conducts random inspections to ensure the Center is in compliance with city ordinances.
- The Safety and Security Department, in coordination with the Fire Department, conduct a semiannual live fire extinguishing activity for staff and students.
- A job safety analysis is conducted by the Safety Officer prior to the start of any projects on Center.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
10 Hour OSHA General Industry Course
122 students were trained and acquired the 10 Hour OSHA Card