ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Baton Rouge Area Office
Consulate of Mexico in New Orleans, Louisiana
September 6, 2016
September 6, 2013
September 6, 2015 through September 6, 2016
The Alliance with the Mexican Consulate in New Orleans, Louisiana was established to recognize the joint commitment to protect workers’ rights for Mexican workers in the United States acknowledged in the Letter of Arrangement between the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the United States of America and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the United Mexican States, signed at Washington, D.C., on June 1, 2010.
The Alliance provides for the establishment of cooperative relationships for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication, and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health.
The Participants intentions are to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Louisiana and others information, guidance, and access to education and training resources to promote workers’ rights in protecting their occupational safety and health, and to help them understand U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
Dorinda Folse, Area Director, OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office
Alexander Novas, Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office
Consulate of Mexico in New Orleans, Louisiana
Diana P. Rodriquez Medina, Consulate of Mexico
Implementation Team Meetings
Planning meetings and conference calls were held to discuss collaboration on such events as the mobile consulate and the 8th annual Labor Rights Week.
Activities and Products
Training and Education
- Baton Rouge Area Office, compliance assistance participated in and conducted a presentation during mobile Mexican Consulate event to inform workers of their rights and employers of their responsibilities under the OSH Act. The information presented also included the various ways an employee can file a complaint and how to access the website “OSHA en Español,” for additional guidance and publications in Spanish.
- Baton Rouge Area Office, compliance assistance conducted a presentation at the consulate during Labor Rights Week. The presentation informed workers of their rights and employers of their responsibilities under the OSH Act. In addition, a question and answer session was held.
- Baton Rouge Area Office, compliance assistance provided the consulate with updates on the “Zika Virus” with Spanish language PowerPoint presentations and access to other available information on OSHA’s website.
Outreach and Communication
- Baton Rouge Area Office, compliance assistance continued to provide the consulate with OSHA Spanish language publications which included educational brochures, pamphlets and training materials. The publications and information provided by compliance assistance are made available at the consulate for distribution throughout the year.
- Baton Rouge Area Office, compliance assistance continued to provide Spanish language radio stations with information relating to Labor Rights Week for broadcast to Spanish speaking listeners in the New Orleans and Baton Rouge areas. The Spanish language stations in Baton Rouge and New Orleans reach an estimated 16,000 hourly listeners.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Mexican Consulate in New Orleans annually recognizes Workers’ Memorial Day as an international day of remembrance for fallen workers.
- The Mexican Consulate in New Orleans actively provides occupational safety and health information during the annual recognition of Labor Rights Week.
Through the joint efforts of the Alliance, the Mexican Consulate in New Orleans has greater access to OSHA outreach information and publications for Mexican Workers in Louisiana, in addition to an increased awareness of OSHA’s continued efforts to reach at-risk workers. The established relationship and cooperative efforts between the Baton Rouge Area Office and the Mexican Consulate is expected to continue with the renewal of the current Alliance during the 9th Labor Rights Week at the consulate in New Orleans.
The Alliance plans to reestablish its collaborative efforts and continue towards meeting the goals for the next evaluation year.
- Promote occupational safety and health for the Hispanic community in Louisiana.
- OSHA participation in mobile consulate events.
- OSHA participation in consulate activities during the 9th Annual Labor Rights Week.
- Renewal of the Alliance with the Mexican Consulate, New Orleans in 2017.