Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
To reach and inform Mexican nationals in Central Texas of their rights under OSHA.
Implementation Team Members.
R. Casey Perkins, Joann Natarajan, OSHA
Jose Luis Chavez, Blanca Gaviņo Arvizu, Mexican Consulate
- Implementation Team Meetings
In person meetings were held 6-23-12 and 8-27-12.
- Activities and Products
The evaluation period covers 8-30-11 to 8-30-12.
- Training and Education - OSHA assisted the Consulate in finding volunteers to teach a $5 OSHA 10 hour class in Spanish for Mexican Nationals. The first class offered will be held November 8-9, 2012 in Austin.
- Outreach and Communication - OSHA participated in outreach events at the Consulate on 9-1-11, 5-22-12, 6-19-12, 8-27-12 and 8-28-12.
- OSHA had tables at the mobile consulate events on 6-23-12, and 9-22-12.
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health - OSHA has strengthened their relationship with the Consulate through dialogue on safety and health regarding fatalities to Mexican Nationals. The Austin office frequently has difficulty in reaching next of kin for deceased workers whose family resides in Mexico. Through contacts with the Consulate, the Austin office has been able to obtain good addresses for next of kin. The Consulate has also contacted the office to report serious injuries that have occurred to Mexican workers. As a result of these referrals, OSHA conducted two inspections in response to focus four hazards that resulted in serious injuries that required worker hospitalization.
CSHO Monica Munoz has assisted with Spanish translation and participated in many of the exhibit events.
- Training and Education - Approximately 1100 Hispanic workers were reached through exhibit tables at Consulate events.
- Outreach and Communication - A Spanish OSHA 10 hour was scheduled for Mexican workers.
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health - Two inspections were conducted as a result of referrals from the Consulate.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
- Upcoming Milestones
A Spanish OSHA 10 hour class will be offered in November 2012. Based on how the class is received, additional classes will be scheduled. The Consulate plans to offer 2-3 OSHA 10 hour classes per year to help Hispanic workers in the Austin area understand how to be safe on the job.
Report Prepared by: Joann Natarajan