Back to Region VI
- Alliance Background
Date Signed: May 11, 2011
End Date: May 10, 2013
Alliance with the Ark La Tex STEPS Network and the Dallas (Primary) and Baton Rouge Area Office’s and directed towards reducing injuries, illnesses and fatalities in the oil and gas exploration and production industry. STEPS Network is a monthly safety meeting where best practices and incident trends are discussed, and guest speakers provide safety information to address hazards in the industry.
Implementation team Members:
ARK LA TEX STEPS
Larry Cooper, President (2013), ARK LA TEX STEPS
Phillip Crutcher, Tech Assist (2013) ARK LA TEX STEPS
Stephen Boyd, Dallas AO
Dorinda Folse, Baton Rouge AO
Elias Vela, Dallas AO
Apr 11, 2012 through May 6, 2013
- Implementation Team Meetings
After the signing of the Alliance coordination and planning was conducted through phone, email, and month safety network member meetings
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- Oil and Gas Safety Stand-Down Month March 2013
- The Ark La Tex STEPS Network purpose is to provide a safety forum for companies and organizations involved in the oil and gas exploration and production industry to meet on a monthly basis to discuss accident trends, best practices, disseminate safety information, and have speakers talk on relevant topics to safety in the exploration and production field. Meetings are held monthly and last approximately two hours.
- A resource slide presentation was developed with industry related safety information and distributed to hundreds of companies in the oil and gas industry.
- The ArkLaTexSTEPs.com website
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Monthly safety forums (second Wednesday of each month)
- Developed a website, www.arklatexteps.com to facilitate the dissemination of information to the industry in the East Texas area. In the past year the site has received over 100 hits with 19 being used to locate safety resources.
- No National dialogue at this time
- No products developed at this time
Participation in the alliance has helped maintain and improve the knowledge and sharing of best practices for the exploration and production field in the Ark La Tex area. In addition to the meetings covering FRCs, safe driving, H2S, slings inspection and safety, cell phone policies, cranes, and other topics, meetings on fatality trends, best practices, and new regulations were distributed to the exploration and production contractors. The group has become a distribution point for safety related classes in the area, particularly non-profit grant classes offered in the area. The meetings average approximately 40 attendees.
OSHA’s National Campaign for work-related Heat Stress and National Initiative for Distracted Driving were address and materials were provided to members-attendees of the monthly meeting.
The following was reported by the University of Texas University OSHA Education Center regarding the March 2013 Safety Stand-Down
|NUMBER OF JOBSITES INSPECTED
||NUMBER OF HAZARDS IDENTIFIED AND CORRECTED
||NUMBER OF WORKERS TRAINED
||NUMBER OF SUBCONTRACTORS
||APPROXIMATELY HOW MANY MAN-HOURS WERE SPENT IN TIS TRAINING?
||APPROXIMATELY HOW MANY HOURS WERE SPENT ON INSPECTIONS?
||IF YOU FOUND OUT THROUGH A STEPS NETWORK WHICH ONE:
- Upcoming Milestones
The ArkLaTex Alliance renewal agreement to be signed on May 8, 2013.
Continue monthly ArkLaTex Network safety forum meetings.
The 2013 Oil and Gas Environmental Conference will be held December 3–4, 2013 at the Omni Dallas Hotel, Dallas, Texas.