ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Dallas Regional OSHA Office
Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC)
November 24, 2015
Signed - September 24, 2013
September 24, 2014 to September 24, 2015
Through the OSHA and AESC Alliance, the organizations are working together to provide AESC members and affiliates in the well servicing industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources to protect employees' health and safety. AESC has approximately 800 member companies who employ between 500,000 and 750,000 workers.
Implementation Team Members
- Josh Flesher
- OSHA Region VI Assistant Regional Administrator - Cooperative and State Programs
- Doug Huddleston
- OSHA Region VI Alliance Coordinator
- Kenny Jordan
- Executive Director
- Matt Daniel
- HSE Committee Chair
- Sam Tolley
- HSE Committee Past Chairr
- Kevin Northcutt
- HSE Committee Vice Chairman
- Nick Messersmith
- HSE Committee Secretary/Treasurer
- Linda Markin
- HSE Committee Program Chair
- Eric Rosemann
- HSE Committee member
Implementation Team Meetings
Alliance Renewal: The AESC and OSHA members held a telephone conference call on October 08, 2015. Kenny Jordan led the discussion, and the members provided feedback on the copy of the draft Alliance. The Region VI Alliance Coordinator led the discussion on the Alliance work plan, and group members provided feedback regarding initiatives and goals for the renewal period.
The group also discussed upcoming Trucking Conference and Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) training class scheduled for November 17, 2015. Additionally, the group discussed ideas for venue and locations for the second service rig orientation training tentatively scheduled for Spring, 2016.
Training and Education
- 11/23/2014 - Quarterly meeting was held with AESC via conference call to discuss upcoming training for OSHA CSHOs, and the activities during the quarter.
- 12/02/2014 - Oil & Gas Conference, Houston Texas - AESC committee members, that included Kenny Jordan, and Sam Tolley, were among the participatory members of the Conference, and were instrumental in the development and production of the 2014 Oil & Gas Conference.
- 01/06/2015 - Submitted an article on the new recordkeeping requirement for the Well Servicing magazine, part of the AESC Alliance.
- 07/24/2015 - David Rhodes, CSP Assistant Area Director and Vance Delsignore, Compliance Safety and Health Officer out of the Pittsburgh, PA office presented an OSHA update at the annual AESC Summer meeting held in Pittsburgh, PA. There were 140 attendees at the summer meeting.
- 09/22/2015 - Personnel from the Region VI OSHA Office along with personnel from the Texas Department of Insurance OSHA Consultation (OSHCON) attended the Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC) Annual Safety/Wireline Conference. OSHA and OSHCON personnel staffed a booth, distributed DOL/OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets, and answered participants questions. There were approximately 88 attendees at the Conference.
- 09/22/2015 - Oklahoma City Area Office, Area Director, David Bates provided an OSHA Update presentation to Conference attendees.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- 09/23/2015 - A quarterly meeting was held with AESC committee members at the AESC Annual Safety/Wireline Conference where the group discussed activities during the quarter that included AESC committee members input to OSHA's Oil & Gas e-Tool, as well as upcoming training events that would involve the Region's OSHA Compliance Safety and Health Officers (CSHO). Additionally, the group discussed procedures to begin development of the draft Alliance renewal.
- 09/24/2015 - Kenny Jordan, AESC Executive Director was sent an invitation from the OSHA National Office to participate in a Workgroup that will be tasked to update the OSHA Oil & Gas Well Drilling & Servicing e-Tool. The AESC Health and Safety Executive Committee members will play a key role in updating the e-Tool's modules, content and overall structure.
Outreach and Communication
The AESC continues to work with the South Texas Exploration and Production Safety Network (STEPS), National Service, Transmission, Exploration & Production Safety (NTEPS), and other networks involving exploration and production companies promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health.
Projects and Workgroups
AESC will be an active participant in the OSHA Oil & Gas Well Drilling & Servicing e-Tool review. The Workgroup will conduct a teleconference on October 22, 2015 for the purpose of updating and improving the content of the e-Tool. AESC Health and Safety Executive Committee members collectively have begun the process of reviewing the eTool for overall structure and coverage, format, and a review of modules and sub-modules.
Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained AESC Safety/Wireline Conference & Tradeshow 88 Well Servicing magazine articles on the following: Oil & Gas Conference 12,000 Updated Recordkeeping Standard 12,000 CSHO and AESC Joint Rig Training 12,000 Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) Training 34 Total 36,122
- Renewal of the Alliance
- Begin work on the OSHA Oil & Gas Well Drilling & Servicing e-Tool update
- Continued emphasis on Oil & Gas Hazards Training, UTA OSHA Education Center - Arlington, Texas
- Continue AESC and OSHA Region VI Oil Rig Orientation Training in South Texas (Spring 2016)
- Fall 2016 - AESC Safety/Wireline Conference & Tradeshow
Well Servicing magazine articles (4)
- Amputations Emphasis - Kenny Jordan
- Silica Hazards - Kenny Jordan
- Occupational Injuries during Oil and Gas Operations and The Way Forward to Improve Worker Safety (Winter 2015) - Doug Huddleston
- Heat Stress (Spring 2016) - Doug Huddleston
This Alliance continues to provide a means for OSHA Region VI and the oil field services companies to share information through articles published in their publications as well as participation in both AESC and OSHA training events and meetings.
Report prepared by: Doug Huddleston, OSHA Region VI Alliance Coordinator, November 24, 2015.Back to Top