ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Baton Rouge Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
May 23, 2018
Implementation Team Members
- Dorinda Folse,
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Area Director
- Wilfred Hebert,
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Compliance Assistance Specialist
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. New Orleans/Bayou Chapter:
- Angela M. Latino-Geier
- - President/CEO
Implementation Team Meetings
- October 20, 2015 Implementation Team Meeting
- December 10, 2015 Implementation Team Meeting
- January 28, 2016 Implementation Team Meeting
- March 22, 2017 Implementation Team Meeting
- April 28, 2017 Implementation Team Meeting
- June 28, 2017 Implementation Team Meeting
- September 27, 2017 Implementation Team Meeting
- October 25, 2017 Implementation Team Meeting
- February 28, 2018 Implementation Team Meeting
- March 28, 2018 Implementation Team Meeting
- April 25, 2018 Implementation Team Meeting
- May 23, 2018 Implementation Team Meeting
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance members maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance’s progress, current events, and results to address industry needs.
May 09, 2012, and renewed on September 22, 2014
October 29, 2015 – May 23, 2018
The OSHA and Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. (ABC) New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Alliance, was established to create a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. The goals of the Alliance are to provide the ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter’s membership and partnering constituents with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to struck-by, falls, caught-in-between and electrical hazards, addressing construction and industrial contractor issues, and understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
In developing the Alliance goals, OSHA and ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter recognizes that OSHA’s State Plan and On-site Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- Provide Safety Education – CSST Safety Tech, April & May 2017 and CSST Field Safety March and April 2017. CSST. Course curriculum includes OSHA 30 Certification.
- Partnership with University of Texas at Arlington – OSHA Training Institute Education Center Host and also a Partnership with United Academy – Safety Training Program.
- Annual ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Committee Leadership Directory included: Apprenticeship & Craft Training, Membership, Government Relations, Programs & Communications and Safety & Management Education.
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Personnel Handbook – Safety Practices
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Apprenticeship & Craft Training Student Handbook – Safety Policy & Procedures
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Welding Department - Safety Rules and Regulations are posted specific to this construction craft.
- OSHA Fact Sheet and “All about OSHA” booklets were provided to all instructors, trainees and employees of ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. (ABC National) mails the annual ABC Year-In-Review booklet to more than 70,000 employees. A section of the booklet provides information and statistics on Safety, promoting zero-incident jobsites, as well as asking members to pledge to promote safety and health at their jobsites.
Outreach and Communication
- OSHA publications and information were provided at each committee meeting for distribution to workers by Alliance members.
- General Safety and Health Provisions were discussed in meetings: Construction standards such as frequent and regular inspections of the jobsite by competent persons and the definition of a competent person. Requirements covering topics such as first aid, fire protection and housekeeping at the site.
- OSHA Heat Advisory was emailed by OSHA and sent out to all member contractors, recommending scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is a medical emergency – call 911.
- OSHA Training Institute Education Centers emailed, offering a series of free OSHA seminars throughout Region VI. Courses count towards the new Public Sector Safety & Health Fundamentals Certificate Program.
- Workshop: Free Compliance Assistance Forum for employers, community based organizations and advocacy groups. The workshop will include a step-by-step process for developing and implementing and effective safety and health program; a description of OSHA compliance assistance resources; and an overview of the Site Specific Targeting program.
- Invite to the OSHA Regional Office to participate in a Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction.
- A Safety and Health evaluation of the training was conducted during at the end of the evaluation period.
- Outreach assistance was provided to ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter membership participating in the ABC National STEP Award Process.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on industries safety to discuss safety and health issues and to help address needs in the workplace.
- The ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Safety & Management Education Committee annually recognizes Workers' Memorial Day and communicates related information to regional industry personnel.
The ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter membership continue to have access to a greater amount of outreach information and publications and are made aware of the continued efforts of OSHA to reach at-risk industries by sharing current events, safety alerts, and best practices.
|Type of Activity||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained||Topic(s)|
|2015: October 20 - Meeting||10||Safety and Management Ed|
|November 18 – Emails||200||Safety and Health Program Guidelines|
|November 25 – Event||239||Chapter Awards Gala: recognizing Excellence in Construction, STEP participants|
|December 4 – Emails||85||OSHA Revised Reporting Requirements|
|December 10 – Meeting||12||Safety and Management Ed|
|2016: January 19 – Training||300||Chapter-Construction Training Center Spring Semester/Safety Orientation|
|January 20 – Email||85||ABC STEP Applications/Online Registration|
|January 20 – Email||175||ABC News, Regulation, Safety, Workplace Safety|
|February 1 – Email||175||ABC Webinar: Updated OSHA Confined Spaces Standards|
|February 10 – Email||175||ABC Webinar: National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction|
|March 1 – Conference||ABC Workforce Conference|
|March 3 – Event||ABC National EIC & Safety Awards Gala|
|April 15 – Program||90||Chapter – High School Welding Competition|
|May 2 – Email||175||OSHA National Safety Stand-Down promotion|
|May 4 – Email||175||ABC Safety Performance report|
|June 22 – Email||175||National Safety Council Survey Report: Employers Prioritize Over Safety|
|July 8 – Email||175||New Compliance Assistance Resources Update|
|August 15 – Training||300||Chapter- Construction Training Center Fall Semester/ Safety Orientation|
|November 10 – Event||279||Chapter Awards Gala: recognizing Excellence in Construction, STEP participants, and Safety Professional of the Year|
|2017: January 23 – Training||300||Chapter- Construction Training Center Spring Semester/Safety Orientation|
|January 26 – Email||85||ABC STEP application/Online Training|
|February 1 – Training||Partnership Initiated: University of TX Arlington-OSHA Training Institute Education Center Host|
|February 1 – Email||175||OSHA Webinar Training Offerings|
|February 6 – Training||Partnership Initiated: United Academy-Safety Training Program|
|February 27 – Conference||ABC Workforce Conference|
|February 28 – Meeting||Safety and Management Ed|
|March 1 – Event||ABC National EIC & Safety Award Gala|
|March 1-3 – Program||ABC National Craft Competition Chapter Student Competitor awarded ABC Champion’s Safety Award in Pipe Welding|
|March 7-9 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Fall Protection|
|March 20 - Email||175||Administration Budgets target OSHA training grants|
|March 21-23 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Principles of Ergonomics|
|March 21-24 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Standards of General Industry|
|March 22 – Meeting||12||Safety of Management Ed|
|March 24 – Program||87||Chapter High School Welding & Carpentry Competition|
|April 4-7 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Electrical Standards|
|April 18-20 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Cranes in Construction|
|April 24 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Understanding OSHA’s Permit-Required Confined Space Standards|
|April 25-27 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Confined Space|
|April 28 – Meeting||Safety and Management Ed|
|May 8 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Fall Hazard Awareness for the Construction Industry|
|May 9-11 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Excavation, Trenching & Soil Mechanics|
|May 15-19 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Maritime Industry Standards|
|May 30-June 2 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Oil & Gas Exploration & Production|
|June 6-9 – Training||U of TX OSHA: General Industry Trainer|
|June 12-18 – Email||175||Safe & Sound Week Video Presentation|
|June 28 – Meeting||12||Safety & Management Ed|
|June 27-29 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Safety Standards for Scaffolding|
|July 5 – Email||175||Administration OSHA strip anti-retaliation form reporting rules|
|July 24 – Email||175||Administration Scraps previous Administration rulemaking|
|August 6 – Sept. – Email||175||Safety & Health Conference/LA Governor’s|
|August 14 – Training||298||Chapter—Construction Training Center Fall Semester/Safety Orientation|
|September 14 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Excavation, Trenching & Soil|
|September 27 – Meeting||15||Safety & Management Ed|
|September 28 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Medic First Aid & CPR|
|October 1 – December 31 – Email||New Safety and Health Resources; This update highlights new workplace safety and health resources by OSHA|
|October 24 – Training||U of TX OSHA: Respiratory Protection|
|October 25 – Meeting||12||Safety & Management Ed|
|December 20 – Email||Newsline: Update to OSHA Electronic Injury and Illness Reporting. OSHA Issues New and Revised Fact sheets on Silica|
|December 19 – 21 Training||U of TX OSHA - OSHA 3115 Fall Protection|
|2018 January 8 – 18, 2018||300||Spring Student Orientation & Safety|
|January 8 – Email||Announcement on OSHA Safety Day on January 17th.|
|January 19, 2018 Event||265||Chapter Awards & STEP|
|January 25 - Email||2018 STEP APPLICATON|
|January 30 – Email/Video||Learn More About Silica Exposure in the Workplace!|
|February 9 – Email/Webinar||Be A Safety Leader: Tools for a Successful Workplace Safety & Health|
|February 20 – 23 – Training||U of TX OSHA - OSHA 510 - Standards for the Construction Industry|
|February 28, 2018 – Meeting||10||Safety and Management Ed|
|March 21 – 22 Program||ABC National Craft Competition Chapter Student Competitor awarded ABC Champion’s Safety Award in Pipe Welding and also Gold Award in Pipe Welding.|
|March 27 – 30 – Training||U of TX OSHA – OSHA 500 - Training Course for Construction Industry|
|March 28, 2018 – Meeting||5||Safety and Management Ed|
|April 16 – 18 - Training||U of TX OSHA – OSHA 502 – Update for Construction Industry|
|April 20 – Program||96||Chapter High School Welding, Electrical & Carpentry Competition|
|April 18 – 20 - Training||U of TX OSHA – OSHA 503 - Update for General Industry|
|April 25, 2018 – Meeting||Safety and Management Ed|
|May 7-11 - Email||National Safety Stand-Down: Stopping to Save Lives|
|May 15 - Email||Safe & Sound Campaign: Employee Perception Surveys. Selling Safety to the Front Line Employee. Better Safety Conversations. Recommended Practices for Anti-Retaliation Programs|
|May 23, 2018 – Meeting||7||Safety and Management Ed|
The OSHA-ABC Alliance plans to continue to strive to meet the goals of the Alliance for the next evaluation year and commit to the renewal of the Alliance
- Continue Safety Committee Meetings
- Continue to provide hurricane outreach to local areas
- Consider a method of capturing a number of safety contacts and number of students contacted for more accurate annual report.
- Continue to provide ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Construction Training Center Safety and Health Evaluation.
- Increase STEP Award Participation: promotion & outreach
- Continue to conduct Frequent and Regular Inspection Presentation to help address Focus Four, or other safety topic.
- List major planned activities, products, and issues that the Alliance plans to work on during the next reporting period, including plans for renewal.
*Additionally, emphasis will be placed on the assistance that state consultation can provide to members in training, education in job safety, and health issues.
Report Prepared by: Wilfred J. HebertBack to Top