ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Baton Rouge Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors Inc., New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
May 09, 2014
May 09, 2013
May 09, 2013 to May 09, 2014
The OSHA and ABC, New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Alliance, was established to create a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. The goals of the Alliance are to provide ABC, New Orleans/Bayou Chapter, members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to struck-by, falls, caught-in-between and electrical hazards, addressing construction and industrial contractor issues, and understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). In developing the Alliance goals, OSHA and ABC, New Orleans/Bayou Chapter, recognizes that OSHA's State Plan and On-site Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
Implementation Team Members
- Dorinda Folse
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Area Director
- Wilfred Hebert
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Compliance Assistance Specialist
Associated Builders and Contractors Inc., New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
- Angela Latino-Geier
- ABC Inc. New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
Implementation Team Meetings
- May 23, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- June 27, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- August 22, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- September 26, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- November 1, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- December 19, 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
- February 27, 2014 Implementation Team Meeting
- April 24, 2014 2013 Implementation Team Meeting
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance members maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance's progress, current events, and results to address industry needs.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- Provide Safety Education – CSST Field Safety September 7 – 28,203 and CSST Safety Tech October 19, 26 &November 2 &9, 2013. CSST Course curriculum includes OSHA 30 Certification.
- A presentation was provided by CNA Risk Control Consultant and UL Recognized Risk Engineer Specialist that addressed "Motion Is Money" Target Audience: Risk Managers, HR Personnel and Safety Professionals. The cost of doing business requires employers to look at injury costs and productivity. This session provides tools to help identify, evaluate &resolve ergonomic issues to promote operational excellence.
- Annual Chapter Committee Leadership Pamphlet included the following; Apprenticeship &Craft Training, Membership, Government Relations, Programs &Communications and Safety &Management Education.
- ABC Staff Handbook – Safety Practices
- ABC Trainee Handbook – Safety Policy &Procedures
- ABC Welding Department – Safety Rules and Regulations are posted.
- OSHA Fact Sheet and "All about OSHA" booklets are given out to all instructors, trainees and employees of ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter.
- ABC National sends to all members each year the ABC Year In Review booklet, a section of the booklet reports on Safety, believing in establishing a zero-incident jobsites and also taking the pledge
Outreach and Communication
- OSHA publications and information were provided at each committee meeting for distribution to workers by Alliance members.
- General Safety and Health Provisions were discussed in meetings: Construction standards such as frequent and regular inspections of the jobsite by competent persons and definition of a competent person. Requirements covering topics such as first aid, fire protection and housekeeping at the site.
- OSHA Heat Advisory was emailed by OSHA and sent out to all member contractors, recommending scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency – call 911.
- OSHA Training Institute Education Centers emailed, offering a series of FREE OSHA seminars throughout Region VI. Courses counts towards the new Public Sector Safety &Health Fundamentals Certificate Program.
- Workshop: Free Compliance Assistance Forum for employers, community based organizations and advocacy groups…The event will include a step-by-step process for developing and implementing and effective safety and health program; a description of OSHA compliance assistance resources; overview of the Site Specific Targeting program.
- Invite to the OSHA Regional Office in a Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction.
- A Safety and Health evaluation of the training was conducted during at the end of the evaluation period.
- Outreach assistance was provided to chapter member companies participating in the National ABC STEP Award Process.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on industries safety to discuss safety and health issues and to help address needs in the workplace.
- The ABC Bayou Safety Committee annually recognizes Workers' Memorial Day and communicates related information to regional industry personnel.
The ABC, Bayou Chapter Members, continue to have access to a greater amount of outreach information and publications and are made aware of the continued efforts of OSHA to reach at-risk industries by sharing current events, safety alerts, and best practices.
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Topic(s) May 2013 Meeting 5 Fall Protection presentation –Ron Landry/Gibbs Construction Safety Director. June 27, 2013 Meeting 6 OSHA Heat Campaign August 22 Meeting 10 Overview for Subpart C General Safety and Health Provisions – Will Hebert/OSHA June 14, 2013 48 ABC Apprenticeship & Craft Training - Safety Graduation September 7, 2013 21 CSST - Field Safety Training September 25, 2013 21 Motion is Money / CNA September 26, 2013 Meeting 15 Driver Distractions, Driving Risks of Hand Free & Handheld Cell Phones – Multi tasking while driving & Employer Liability - Cell Phone Policies October 19, 2013 21 CSST-Safety Tech Training/OSHA 30 November 1, 2013 meeting 15 2014 Presentation selections made by the Safety & Management Ed Committee. November 14, 2013 185 STEP (Safety Training and Evaluation Process) Awards Ceremony December 19, 2013 Meeting 10 Drug Screening Considerations January 31, 2014 199 STEP Application distribution February 27, 2014 Meeting 7 Fall prevention disciplinary action / Fall Stand Down Class offered April 4, 2014 100 High School Students from 6 Parishes participated in the Regional Welding Competition April 24, 2014 Meeting 8 OSHA Safety & Health Stand Down Training. - April 28, 2014 National Workers’ Memorial Day For the rest of the Semester. Evaluation for ABC Alliance Requirements. Information will be provided about the ABC Chapter Apprenticeship Program. All courses are NCCER (National Center for Construction Education and Research)-certified. The courses will be: Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Sheet metal, and Sprinkler Fitter(correspondence course) 30,000 plus 25 businesses that are committee members, participate in the ABC Bayou Alliance TOTAL 34,544
The Alliance plans to continue to strive to meet the goals for the next evaluation year and renewal of the Alliance.
- Continue Safety Committee Meetings
- Continue to provide hurricane outreach to local areas
- Consider a method of capturing a number of safety contacts and number of students contacted for more accurate annual report.
- Continue to provide ABC Training Facility Safety and Health Evaluation.
- Increase STEP Award Participation: promotion &outreach
- Continue to conduct Frequent and Regular Inspection Presentation to help address Focus Four, or other safety topic.
- List major planned activities, products, and issues that the Alliance plans to work on during the next reporting period, including plans for renewal.
Additionally, emphasis will be placed on the assistance that state consultation can provide to members in training, education in job safety, and health issues.
Report Prepared by: Wilfred J. Hebert