ANNUAL REGIONAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Consulate of Mexico in St. Paul, Minnesota
St. Paul, MN
July 21, 2017
Original: March 25, 2014
Renewed: July 12, 2016
The purpose of the alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to support workplace safety and reduce hazards and associated losses. This Alliance targets staff, Mexican citizens, outside employers, and members of our community with information, guidance, and access to training and related resources that will help promote and improve employee health and safety. This alliance includes the Eau Claire and Madison Area OSHA Offices.
Implementation Team Members:
- Mary Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS)
- Angelica Calixto, Criminal, Immigration, Labor, Civil and Administrative Affairs.
Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were held with Team Members:
Numerous phone calls and emails were exchanged to coordinate events and discuss future projects. The Eau Claire CAS did a stand up a talk at the consulate on one Friday a month with a member of the Mexican Consulate translating as a means of coordinating activities.
- July 12, 2016 to July 31, 2017
- OSHA assisted in providing safety and health information and publications in Spanish. The OSHA Poster and Worker Rights information are displayed on a bulletin board at the Consulate entrance. Other OSHA publications are in a brochure display rack in the waiting area.
- A number of networking opportunities has helped government agencies reach the vulnerable population. Federal OSHA and the Consulate staff co-attended a number of Hispanic related events during the past year such as the Stevens Point Agricultural Safety Connections conference and the Dept. of Workforce Development Pre-Season Migrant meeting.
- OSHA participated in Labor Rights Week at the Consulate by attending the Wage and Hour Division Alliance signing and presenting on OSHA Workplace Rights on another day.
- OSHA attended a Mobile Consulate in Winona, MN and Eau Claire, WI to answer questions and provide informational brochures to those that normally would not travel to the Consulate.
- OSHA CAS presented "OSHA Basics and Worker Rights" to the Consulate and CLUES (Comunidades Latinas Unidas En Servico- a community action group) staff so they can direct their citizens to OSHA if appropriate.
- Federal OSHA partnered with Federal Wage and Hour Division and the State of MN Consultation Service to offer a broader range of resources to the Mexican employer and worker. The Federal Wage and Hour Division and the State of MN Consultation Service have an on-going Alliance with the Consulate.
- Federal OSHA representatives attended Mobile Consulates that were held in Winona, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Budget concerns will limit or eliminate this activity in 2017.
- OSHA CAS conducted training to the Consulate and CLUES staff about OSHA and Workers' Rights.
- The Consulate staff has referred Mexican workers to Federal OSHA for safety and health assistance and the stand-up talks resulted in workers contacting OSHA.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Mobile Consulate in Winona with an Eau Claire CSHO.
Mobile Consulate in Eau Claire with an Eau Claire CSHO.
Training for Staff of the Consulate and ClUES
Additional meetings with State of MN Consultation Director and Mexican Consulate staff to discuss how to coordinate services and outreach offered by the MN and Federal OSHA though the alliances.
The Mexican Consulate promoted OSHA's Fall Protection Safety Stand Down and Heat Stress by posting materials.
Labor Rights Week: Consulate signed alliance with the USDOL-WHD.
Labor Rights Week: Presentations by WHD, MN OSHA and Federal OSHA on Worker Rights.
A member of the Consulate participated in the DWD Pre-Season Migrant Farm Worker Meeting in Eau Claire
9 Monthly Stand-Up Talks with the audience awaiting services at the Consulate. A Consulate member translated for the Eau Claire CAS.
- OSHA will participate in the Labor Rights Week in August, 2017.
- OSHA will continue with the Stand-Up Talks on a monthly basis.
- OSHA will coordinate with the Consulate to support for the 2018 Agricultural Safety Connections conference.
Report Prepared by:
Mary M. Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.