ANNUAL REGIONAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Consulate of Mexico in St. Paul, Minnesota
St. Paul, MN
April 9, 2015
- Alliance Background
March 25, 2014
The purpose of the alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to support workplace safety and reduce hazards and associated losses. This Alliance targets staff, Mexican citizens, outside employers, and members of our community with information, guidance, and access to training and related resources that will help promote and improve employee health and safety.
Implementation Team Members:
- Mary Bauer
- Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist
- Kelly Bubolz
- Appleton OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist
- David Schott
- Appleton OSHA, Team Leader
- Alberto Fierro
- Consular of Mexico
- Angelica Calixto
- Criminal, Immigration, Labor, Civil and Administrative Affairs
- Monica Cruz
- Community Affairs
- Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were held with Team Members:
Numerous phone calls and emails were exchanged to coordinate events and discuss future projects.
- March 25, 2014 to March 31, 2015
- OSHA assisted in providing safety and health information and publications in Spanish. The OSHA Poster and Worker Rights information are displayed on a bulletin board at the Consulate entrance. Other OSHA publications are in a brochure display rack in the waiting area.
- A number of networking opportunities has helped government agencies reach the vulnerable population. Federal OSHA and the Consulate staff co-attended a number of Hispanic related events during the past year such as the U of M / NIOSH Symposium on Immigrant Workers and Southern Minnesota Latino Summit.
- Federal OSHA partnered with Federal Wage and Hour Division and the State of MN Consultation Service to offer a broader range of resources to the Mexican employer and worker. The State of MN Consultation Service had an on-going Alliance with the Consulate that was revitalized.
- Federal OSHA representatives attended Mobile Consulates that were held in Wisconsin.
- The Consulate staff has referred Mexican workers to Federal OSHA for safety and health assistance.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Mobile Consulate in Eau Claire with Appleton’s Bilingual Team Leader and Eau Claire CSHO. 200 Mobile Consulate in Wausau with Appleton’s Bilingual Team Leader. 200 Mobile Consulate in Appleton with Appleton CSHO. 200 Introduction meeting with Mexican Consulate staff and UW-River Falls staff to promote the Spanish Susan Harwood Dairy Worker Training. 7 Introduction meeting with State of MN Consultation Director and Mexican Consulate staff to discuss how to coordinate services and outreach offered by the MN and Federal OSHA though the alliances. 5 Labor Rights Week: Consulate signed alliance with Wage and Hour Division (WHD). 30 LEDC: Latino Economic Development Council meeting during Labor Rights Week. Co-Presented with WHD to discuss Worker’s Rights. 25 Labor Rights Week: Presentations by WHD, MN OSHA and Federal OSHA on Worker Rights. 35 Staff training for Consulate and CLUES (Comunidades Latinas Unidas En Servicio) by Federal OSHA, State of MN Consultation, and WHD to give the counter staff a better understanding of where to direct concerns. 25 A member of the Consulate participated in the Government Panel during the Agricultural Safety Connections conference in Stevens Point, WI. The Consulate participated in the event planning. 100 TOTAL 827
- Upcoming Milestones
- OSHA and Consulate of Mexico in St. Paul, MN will continue to attend the mobile consulates held in Northern Wisconsin.
- OSHA will participate in the Labor Rights Week in August, 2015.
- OSHA will coordinate with the Consulate to support for the 2016 Agricultural Safety Connections conference.
Report Prepared by:
Mary M. Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.