ANNUAL TOLEDO AREA OFFICE ALLIANCE REPORT
The Safety Council of Northwest Ohio
March 21, 2014
The Safety Council of Northwest Ohio (SCNWO) Alliance utilizes collective expertise to help foster a culture of prevention while sharing best practices, technical knowledge, and training resources. The SCNWO has been providing services to the community for more than 30 years.
Implementation Team Members
The Safety Council of Northwest Ohio
Dennis McMickens, President and CEO
Robert Momany, Vice President of Programs & Services
Kimberly Nelson, Area Director
Chad Positano, Assistant Area Director
Implementation Team Meetings
March 22, 2017 – Meeting with Safety Council
June 14, 2017- AD meeting with SCNWO Board
Multiple correspondence throughout the Alliance between AD/AAD and SCNWO President/Vice President in regards implementation of Alliance goals
Activities and Products
May 30, 2016 – December, 31, 2017
Training and Education
- July 21, 2016, AAD presented for SCNWO COSS class
- October 21, 2016 – TAO staff member presented for SCNWO COSS class
- January 11, 2017 – Two TAO staff members attended DOT Hazmat Shipping training provided by SCNWO
- March 9, 2017 – AAD presented for SCNWO COSS class
- February 22, 2017 – AD Presented at SCNWO Breakfast with Experts
- April 27, 2017 – CSHO presented for SCNWO COSS class
- May 10, 2017 – OSHA and the SCNWO collaborated with other stakeholders to hold NW Ohio Safety and Health Day, offering education/training course for approximately 500 local stakeholders in various safety and health functions. An OSHA representative presented during this event.
- August 29, 2017 – SCNWO provided an interpreter to assist TAO AD during Labor Rights Week presentation with Mexican Consulate in Lorain, OH.
- November 2, 2017 – AD presented for SCNWO COSS class
- December 6, 2017 – CSHO presented for SCNWO COSS class
- Routinely offers health and safety training to stakeholders and the community including first aid, CPR electrical safety, OSHA 10-hour general industry, and fall protection
- The SCNWO maintains an extensive safety and health video library that is available via the Internet to their stakeholders. The SCNWO has made this library available to OSHA, free of charge.
Outreach and Communication
- Electronically distributed outreach materials for National Fall Stand Down to its Stakeholders
- Electronically distributed Region V's safety and health newsletter in Spanish and English to its stakeholders
- Electronically distributed outreach materials for Grain Engulfment Prevention, Worker's Memorial Day, Safe and Sound Week and Labor Rights Week
- Email distribution of Safety Tip of the Week to stakeholders
- The SCNWO is a primary sponsor of the annual NW Ohio Safety and Health Day.
- The SCNWO has hired a full time safety representative that is bilingual – Spanish. This representative works closely and in cooperation with OSHA to deliver safety and worker rights information to the Hispanic community.
- Monthly Compliance Luncheon where different safety topics are presented each month
- Monthly Breakfast with Experts event where different safety topics are presented each month
- Construction Safety Breakfast where different safety topics are presented each month
Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- The Toledo Area Office AD continues to sit on the Board of Directors of the SCNWO.
None to report
The OSHA/SCNWO Alliance provides opportunities to increase the safety and health knowledge of safety council members in Northwest Ohio. OSHA personnel provide current occupational safety and health information to the Council, who in turn distribute to their membership either via email or newsletter venues. In addition, the parties conduct joint training and education courses to SCNWO members and other stakeholders.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained NW Ohio Safety and Health Day Collaboration
Breakfast safety workshop
Construction Safety Breakfast
Email/webpage distribution of Fall Stand Down information
Email/webpage distribution of Labor Rights information
Email distribution of Region V Safety and Health Newsletter (English/Spanish)
Email distribution of training classes
Email distribution of Safe and Sound Week
Email distribution of weekly safety tips
The Alliance is due for renewal in November 2018. Discussions between representatives of both parties have detailed the extreme success of this Alliance, and we foresee that both parties will support its renewal. This has been an extremely effective Alliance over multiple renewals, and the Agency should pursue continuing the Alliance going forward.
Report Prepared by: Kimberly Nelson, Area Director
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top