ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Region V/VI OSHA Offices
Consulate General of the Philippines in Chicago, Illinois
June 04, 2015
April 8, 2014
April 8, 2014 through April 8, 2015
The Alliance with the Consulate General of the Philippines was established to facilitate fostering cooperative relationships for such purposes as, training and education, outreach and communication, and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health.
The Participants intentions are to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Filipino workers information, guidance, and access to education and training resources to promote workers' rights in protecting their occupational safety and health, and to help them understand U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- John Hermanson
- Regional Administrator, OSHA Region VI
- Eric Harbin
- Deputy Regional Administrator, OSHA Region VI
- Doug Huddleston
- Region VI Alliance Program Manager, OSHA Region VI
- Nick Walters
- Regional Administrator, OSHA Region V
- Darnell Crenshaw
- Assistant Regional Administrator Region V
- Lisa Sciolaro
- Labor Liaison, Region V
Consulate General of the Philippines – Region V/VI
- Leo M. Herrera-Lim
- Consulate General of the Philippines
Implementation Team Meetings
Activities and Products
Training and Education
- The Baton Rouge Area Office, Area Director and the Compliance Assistance Specialist attended a consular outreach service, and ceremony for the 116th anniversary of the Declaration of Philippine Independence. The BRAO Area Director spoke to a group of approximately 200 Filipino and Filipino-Americans, regarding the OSH Act, employer/employees' rights and responsibilities, as well as OSHA functions and services. Additionally, the BRAO Compliance Assistance Specialist provided an outreach session presentation on worker rights. The events were hosted by the Philippine Consulate, Chicago and held at Loyola University, New Orleans.
- The Oklahoma City Area Office Compliance Assistance Specialist attended a consular outreach service at the St. Eugene's Church located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The CAS manned a booth, greeting an estimated 200 Filipinos workers, where he distributed OSHA outreach publications and answered Filipino-American workers' questions.
- The Cincinnati Area office participated during a Labor rights week consular event which presented information about worker rights under OSHA, handed out publications and answered questions the Philippine constituent workers had.
- The Chicago Regional office held their first planning meeting with the new General Counsel on October 14, 2014. Several OSHA resources were discussed that would be of use for the Consulate.
- The Philippines Consulate had a mobile event on November 15, 2014 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Milwaukee Area office assisted in providing compliance assistance by distributing publication materials on blood borne pathogens, general industry safety and health and worker rights.
Outreach and Communication
- Baton Rouge Area Office, Compliance Assistance Specialist provided the consulate with OSHA publications which included educational brochures, pamphlets and training materials. The publications and information provided by compliance assistance are made available at the consulate for distribution throughout the year.
- The Oklahoma City Area Office Compliance Assistance Specialist provided the consulate with OSHA publications which included educational brochures, pamphlets and training materials. The publications and information provided by compliance assistance are made available at the consulate for distribution throughout the year.
- The Chicago Regional Office provided the consulate with OSHA publications which included educational brochures, pamphlets and training materials. The publications and information provided by compliance assistance are made available at the consulate for distribution throughout the year.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- The OSHA Region VI Office conducted a tele-conference with the Deputy Consular General on April 07, 2015. The Deputy Consul General was provided information on April 28th Region VI Worker's Memorial Day events. The group discussed the Consulate's potential participation in events scheduled for the Baton Rouge, LA and Oklahoma City, OK areas.
- The OSHA Region V respectively held a tele-conference with the Deputy Consul General on April 28, 2015. The group discussed future venues of collaborations where OSHA may assist the Filipino workers matters.
- Region VI and V have planned to hold an additional teleconference which is scheduled for July 15, 2015. The teleconference aims to provide a continued focus on establishing and revaluating strategic goals for the follow-on period of the Alliance.
Through the joint efforts of the Alliance, the Consulate General of the Philippines now has greater access to OSHA outreach information and publications for Filipino-Americans in Region V/VI, in addition to an increased awareness of OSHA's continued efforts to reach at-risk workers.
The Alliance plans to reestablish its collaborative efforts and continue towards meeting the goals for the next evaluation year. Regions V and VI held a tele-conference with Consul General Israel for the purpose of conduct an overall review of Alliance achievements and goals. Region VI discussed the Consulate's potential participation in the upcoming OSHA Worker Memorial Day activities scheduled for April 28, 2015. Additionally, the group discussed upcoming outreach activities and strategies for improving those activities.
In Region VI, the following Consular Outreach activities will be supported: Our Lady of Mercy Parish Activity Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which is scheduled for June 09, 2015; The Consulate Outreach that is in-work, and planned for September 26, 2015 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In Region V, the following Consular Outreach activities will be supported: St Michael's Church, Indianapolis, Indiana, which is scheduled for June 20, 2015; with additional mobile events scheduled in August and September for Minneapolis Minnesota, Parma, Ohio and Southfield, Michigan. Additionally, Regions V/VI will jointly continue to:
- Promotion of occupational safety and health for the Filipino-Americans community in Region V/VI.
- OSHA participation in mobile consulate events.
- OSHA participation in consulate activities during the year.