POLISH AMERICAN CONTRACTOR AND BUILDER (PACBA) ASSOCIATION
August 18, 2014
June 19, 2012
The alliance was developed to provide Polish contractors, builders and others in construction with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to safety and health hazards in construction, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). In particular, the Alliance focuses on, but not limited to, efforts to reach Polish speaking members of the PACBA through outreach on safety and health issues.
Implementation Team Members
Piotr Wyszkowski, President, PACBA.
Mark Grzymala, Vice-President, PACBA.
Adam J. Grabowski, Director of Education, PACBA.
Emil Szotko, Compliance Officer, OSHA.
Peter Kleczynski, Compliance Office, OSHA.
Sukhvir Kaur, Assistant Area Director, OSHA.
Implementation Team Meetings
November 21, 2013 - Meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
April 24, 2014- Meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
June 19, 2014- Meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
Activities and Products
This report covers the time period of June 19, 2013 to June 19, 2014.
Alliance Activity and Products
- Training and Education
- September 12, 2013 – Scaffolding
- November 21, 2013 – Electrical Hazards in Construction and Hazard Communication update
- March 20, 2014 – Fall Protection
- April 24, 2014 – OSHA Inspection Process and Respiratory Protection
- June 19, 2014 – Heat Stress
- Outreach and Communication
- During the meetings, information is provided on ongoing OSHA campaigns such as fall in construction and heat related illnesses.
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- PACBA members know OSHA is available to them to answer questions. Members call the Area Office requesting information and technical assistance.
- PACBA members participated in the National Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction on June 3, 2014.
- Training and Education
The Alliance provides valuable technical information to the contractors:
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Electrical Hazards in Construction and Hazard Communication 78 OSHA Inspection Process and Respiratory Protection 31 Scaffolding 53 Fall Protection 80 National Fall Stand Down 25 Heat Stress 15 TOTAL 282
The Alliance will be renewed for another two years. During the next two years, the implementation team members plan on developing safety checklists in Polish specific to hazards in construction. The implementation team members and general members of the organization find the alliance a very useful tool in protecting the safety and health of contractors and their employees. It provides a forum for contractors to ask questions and get an understanding of OSHA requirements as well as their responsibilities under the OSH Act.
The following topics are planned for the next year of the Alliance agreement:
- Electrical Hazards and Hazard Communication
- Fall Protection
- Trenching and Excavation
- Heat related Illnesses
Report Prepared by: Sukhvir Kaur.Back to Top