POLISH AMERICAN CONTRACTOR AND BUILDER (PACBA) ASSOCIATION
November 8, 2016
June 25, 2014
The alliance was developed to provide Polish contractors, builders and others in construction with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to safety and health hazards in construction, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). In particular, the Alliance focuses on, but not limited to, efforts to reach Polish speaking members of the PACBA through outreach on safety and health issues.
Implementation Team Members
Adam J. Grabowski, President, PACBA.
Mark Grzymala, Vice-President, PACBA.
Bogdan Gromek, Vice-President, PACBA.
Martha Rog, Senior Vice-President, PACBA.
Emil Szotko, Compliance Officer, OSHA.
Peter Kleczynski, OTI Instructor, OSHA.
Sukhvir Kaur, Assistant Area Director, OSHA.
Implementation Team Meetings
October 7, 2015 – Meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
November 4, 2015 – Planning meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
June 1, 2016 – Meeting conducted at Copernicus Center in Chicago, IL.
September 19, 2016 – Phone conference with Mr. Grzymala, Acting President, regarding future of the Alliance.
Activities and Products
This report covers the time period of June 25, 2015 to June 25, 2016.
Alliance Activity and Products
- Training and Education
- October 7, 2015: Fall Protection
- November 4, 2015: Safety Expo / Open Forum
- March 2, 2016: Scaffolding
- April 20, 2016: Fall Protection
- May 1 – May 3, 2016: National Safety Stand-Down
- June 1, 2016: Excavation Safety
- A ladder safety checklist in Polish was developed.
- A fall protection checklist in Polish was developed.
- Training and Education
- Outreach and Communication
- During the meetings, information is provided on ongoing OSHA campaigns such as fall in construction and heat related illnesses
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- PACBA members know OSHA is available to them to answer questions. Members call the Area Office requesting information and technical assistance.
- PACBA members participated in the National Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction on May 1-3, 2015.
The Alliance provides valuable technical information to the contractors:
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Fall Protection 37 Safety Expo / Open Forum 331 Scaffolding 31 Fall Protection 43 National Fall Stand Down 36 Excavation 11 Ladder Safety Checklist 50 Fall Protection Checklist 50 TOTAL 589
The Alliance implementation team members, including PACBA and OSHA, agreed not to renew the Alliance. PACBA is a small employer based association that does not have a union signatory; workers are not involved in the Alliance Agreement’s development and implementation and the association members do not participate in the alliance of community-based labor groups or similar organizations knowledgeable and involved in the issues addressed by the alliance. However, even though the formal Alliance between PACBA and OSHA will cease, informal communication between two parties will remain to provide Polish contractors, builders and others in construction with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to safety and health hazards in construction, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Report Prepared by: Sukhvir Kaur and Emil Szotko.Back to Top