Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region V
I. Alliance Background
Date Signed March 3, 2003
Renewed March 4, 2005 and February 23, 2007
The Northwest Ohio Carpenters Alliance provides union leaders and others in the
construction industry with information and guidance that will help protect the
health and safety of their members. Goals of the Alliance include:
Training and Education
Implementation Team Members.
- Continue the development of training and education programs based on best
practices for working safely in the construction industry and give recognition
to the members for taking said training. Share information on best practices,
as jointly determined by OSHA and Northwest Ohio Carpenters and their
employers through jointly developed training programs and materials. Promote
their implementation through print or electronic media, at conferences, or by
- Deliver or arrange for the delivery of educational courses specific to the
Outreach and Communication
- Provide OSHA with access to Northwest Ohio Carpenters newsletters,
meetings, and other resources as the means to disseminate information and
guidance on workplace safety and health issues.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Continue liaison contact between Northwest Ohio Carpenters and OSHA to
answer compliance questions, discuss current jobsite findings, and current
- Cross-train OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals on
the Northwest Ohio Carpenters best practices or effective approaches.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Increase others' awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to
workplace safety and health whenever Northwest Ohio Carpenters leaders address
- On a quarterly basis, convene or participate in forums, round table
discussions, or stakeholder meetings to discuss safety and health issues and
topics of importance to both OSHA and the Northwest Ohio Carpenters.
Implementation Team Members
Ron Rothenbuhler, Executive Regional Director
Tim Moran, Business Representative
Jule Hovi, Area Director
Charles Shelton, Compliance Assistant Specialist
Darin Von Lehmden, Safety and Health Compliance Officer
Implementation Team Meetings
- March 11, 2008 Re-signed Alliance, Carpenters Union Hall, Rossford, OH
- October 23, 2007 Meeting, Carpenters Union Hall, Rossford, OH
II. Activities and Products
March 5, 2007 - March 10, 2008
- Training and Education
- CAS spoke to classes of apprentices about OSHA inspection and fall
protection with in Residential and Commercial construction.
- OSHA shared Pandemic Flu information with Executive Regional Director,
Business Agent and Office staff members.
- Outreach and Communication
- Office provided various publications to the Carpenters such as the Pandemic
Flu guidelines booklet, the Powered Actuated tools booklet and the various
Crane, fall protection pocket guides.
- OSHA/Carpenter Liaison CSHO received several calls throughout the year from
Business Agents with various safety and health questions.
- Informed Union of VPP companies with in Northwest Ohio.
- Sent OSHA updates on current Construction Emphasis Programs.
- Sent Scissor lift recall information (Sky Jack # 3219).
- Sent Crane rigging alert notice to the union.
Due to time constraints and various other conflicts no staff members could
attend the Carpenters' training courses this year.
Carpenters Union has been busy as well with implementing new directive and staff
changes and have missed 2 quarterly meeting in 2008.
Carpenters are planning to hold an information sharing forum with the local AGC
contractors late fall 2008.
- The OSHA/Northwest Ohio Carpenter Alliance provided an opportunity to
increase the safety and health knowledge of union construction workers in
Northwest Ohio. OSHA personnel have spoke to union members at 2008
apprenticeship class to understand employee safety and health rights.
- Open communication continues between the Northwest Ohio Carpenters and the
Toledo OSHA office.
IV. Upcoming Milestones
The OSHA/Northwest Ohio Carpenters Alliance implementation team has discussed
activities for the upcoming year. The Carpenters will continue to allow all of
OSHA's Region V personnel to attend any of their Continuing Education Classes at
their training facility. A representative of OSHA will continue to speak to
classes of Carpenter apprentices. The Carpenters and OSHA are planning to hold
an information sharing forum with the local AGC contractors.
Report Prepared by: Jule A. Hovi, Area Director.