Back to Region V
- Alliance Background
May 11, 2010
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Illinois and Wisconsin with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Implementation Team Members
Diane Turek - OSHA
Luis Garcia – OSHA
Armando Cano - Mexican Consulate
- Implementation Team Meetings
Planning Meetings were held on July 7, 2011 and July 14, 2011; July 21, 2011 to plan and organize the worker rights week in late August and early September. A follow-up meeting is held following the labor rights week to discuss the successes/shortcomings of the worker rights week held in August/September and to plan for future events.
- Events and Products
May 2011 – July 2012
- Training and Education:
- Outreach presentations have been held for workers from the Hispanic community in Spanish informing them of the employee rights under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Information was also provided about OSHA and employer responsibilities under the OSH Act.
- Presentations in Spanish were held during the workers rights week informing Hispanic employees of their right and employer responsibilities
- Outreach and Communication:
- During worker rights week - August 29 - September 2, 2011 held at the Mexican Consulate in Chicago, Spanish speaking OSHA personnel manned an OSHA booth, handed out publication and answered questions. The worker rights week was well attended and received by Spanish speaking workers.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Chicago.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about workers rights under OSHA.
Same as above.
Type of Activity
(Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals
Reached or Trained
Worker Rights Week
- Upcoming Milestones
- Renew the Alliance Agreement in 2012.
Report Prepared by: Sukhvir Kaur with input from Luis Garcia.