Annual Alliance Report
- Alliance Background
Date Signed: August 28, 2013
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Indiana and Ohio with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Vanessa Martin
- Melissa Linton
- Javier Abud
- Consul (Mexican Consulate)
- Luz Estela Alvarez
- Protection to Mexicanos
- Implementation Team Meetings
Planning meetings were held on September 1, 2015, December 2, 2015, March 16, 2016 and July 7, 2016. These meetings were held in order to coordinate outreach events throughout the year.
- Events and Products
Evaluation Period: August 2015 – August 2016
- Training and Education:
- The Indianapolis Area Office conducted six training sessions at the Consulate as well sharing seven email blasts of pertinent safety information.
- The Indianapolis Area Office provided OSHA publications in Spanish throughout the year to the Consulate for clients waiting for services.
- Outreach and Communication:
- During Labor Rights Week, Indianapolis OSHA personnel presented information about Worker Rights under OSHA on August 31, 2016. Publications were shared and questions from clients at the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis. The worker rights week was well attended and received by Spanish speaking workers from Indiana.
- Participated in a Labor Rights Week event at the Cincinnati Interfaith Workers Center (CIWC) on September 7, 2016. WHD set-up the event with the Consulate.
- In Ohio, OSHA staff attended two mobile consulate events during this alliance period. The two events were held on April 2, 2016 and October 15, 2016 and were both held at the Columbus Health Department. There was an OSHA informational booth and worker rights information was handed out to about 400 people.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about worker rights under OSHA.
Alliance Products: Same as above.
- Training and Education:
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Labor Rights Week Presentation (panel) 32 National Fall Stand Down Training 71 Labor Rights 9/1: Speech at Consulate 38 Publications 450 Indiana Latino Expo 225 Speeches at Consulate 115 2 Mobile Consulate events (Ohio) 400 Email Blast of Safety Information 395 TOTAL 1726
- Upcoming Milestones
No activities have been confirmed at this time. However, a planning meeting has been scheduled for January 28, 2017.
Prepared by: Vanessa L. Martin, Indianapolis Area DirectorBack to Top