THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF MEXICO IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
October 8, 2015
- Alliance Background
August 26, 2013
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Illinois and Wisconsin with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Implementation Team Members.
- Luis Garcia
- Armando Cano
- Mexican Consulate
- Implementation Team Meetings
Planning Meetings were held on May 28, July 9, and August 24, 2015 to plan and organize the worker rights week in late August and early September. A follow-up meeting is held following the labor rights week to discuss the successes/shortcomings of the worker rights week held in August/September and to plan for future events.
- Events and Products
September 2014 – September 2015
- Training and Education:
- Outreach presentations have been held at various locations for workers from the Hispanic community in Spanish informing them of the employee rights under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Information was also provided about OSHA and employer responsibilities under the OSH Act.
- Presentations in Spanish were held during the labor rights week informing Spanish speaking employees of their rights and employer responsibilities.
- Outreach and Communication:
- During labor rights week- August 31- September 4, 2014 outreach events were held at various locations including, the Mexican Consulate in Chicago, mobile consulate locations, community centers, churches, schools, etc. During the events, Spanish speaking OSHA personnel manned an OSHA booth, handed out Spanish publications and answered questions. The worker rights week was attended by a large number of Spanish speaking workers and was very well received.
- Guest appearance were made at two Spanish radio stations, Radio Claret America and Radio LaBamba by Spanish speaking compliance officers. Compliance officers answered questions related to workers’ rights under OSHA.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Chicago.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about workers rights under OSHA.
Same as above.
- Training and Education:
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Worker Rights Week- booth and presentation 1590 Mobile Consulate Events 1030 Radio Guest Appearance 12000 TOTAL 14,620+
- Upcoming Milestones:
- The Alliance concluded in August, 2015, and is being reviewed for renewal.
Report Prepared by: Luis GarciaBack to Top