GREATER PEORIA CONTRACTORS AND SUPPLIERS ASSOCIATION (GPCSA)
ALLIANCE ANNUAL REPORT
April 13, 2006
- Alliance Background
January 20, 2004
OSHA and GPCSA formed an Alliance to provide GPCSA members with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help protect employees, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to construction industry hazards related to falls, being crushed, electricity and amputations.
Implementation Team Members
Peggy Zweber, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) and the GPCSA Safety Committee (Safety Directors from Peoria Construction Companies, Program Manager from GPCSA and several safety consultants)
Implementation Team Meetings
GPCSA Safety Committee meetings are held quarterly. Risk Assessment subcommittee met biweekly until Risk Assessment program developed.
Activities and Products
January through December, 2005
- GPCSA Risk Assessment Committee developed a program for evaluating safety and health hazards prior to job commencement. A slide presentation for training on the program was developed and a one page, double sided form which foreman/lead men could use easily on-site to evaluate risk and controlled hazards prior to job commencement. CAS Zweber was on the Risk Assessment Committee and contributed to the development of the program. The final CD program was offered to the GPCSA membership companies. Approximately 25 companies are currently using the program.
- "Ask OSHA" video is being developed by one of the GPCSA members. He created a list of the most frequently asked questions by member companies. The topics varied widely from: fall protection, scaffolding requirements, portable ladder requirements, PPE use, electrical hazards, trenching requirements, etc. He is familiar with developing training videos for his member company and has the equipment available to perform the training video. CAS Zweber developed the script of answers to the questions and had four Compliance Officers who perform construction work answer them. Taping of the OSHA compliance portion is completed. On-site taping of the various types of construction hazards is ongoing. Projected completion date of project is the end of 2006.
- As an advisory member of the GPCSA Safety Committee, CAS Zweber was able to answer OSHA questions asked during regular meetings. As a result of the two year Alliance, GPCSA requested an extension of the Alliance for another 3 years. In addition, because of the positive interaction with a member of the OSHA staff on a regular basis, GPCSA has entered into discussions of a proposed Partnership.
- The Risk Assessment Program with training power point was developed and CD's provided to member companies requesting them. The Program was submitted to the local Area Office's hazard control customer service program, the Z Project and will be presented by a safety director of one of the member companies at the Z Project Conference, May 2, 2006.
- The second year of the Alliance brought a level of trust and respect between the Association and OSHA. Several contractors continued to support the Z Project by submitting hazard controls and best practices.
- Work products on safety and health created by the interaction of GPCSA and OSHA are getting to a wider audience by being offered to the entire membership, i.e., the Risk Assessment Program. This raises the level of quality of the safety and health programs in the entire association.
- The working relationship between OSHA and GPCSA has reached a different level of commitment to safety and health. They asked to extend the Alliance and wanted to entertain discussions of Partnership. This has been a valuable Alliance.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Alliance meetings - Planning for the future of the Alliance with GPCSA Safety Committee 12 - Safety Directors of member companies Risk Assessment Program Development and Distribution of CD 25 - Member companies, potential of reaching over 300 employees "Ask OSHA" video, still in development N/A TOTAL 312
Alliance renewal on April 14, 2006. Gold Achievement Partnership with GPCSA currently in development.
Report Prepared by: Peggy Zweber, Compliance Assistance Specialist, 4/13/06Back to Top