ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The Consulate of Mexico in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Alliance Background
September 6, 2016
September 6, 2016 - September 31, 2017
The Participants intend to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Michigan, Wisconsin and others information, guidance, and access to education and training resources to promote workers’ rights in protecting their occupational safety and health, and to help them understand U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
The Consulate of Mexico in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Julián Adem Díaz de León, Consul, Mexican Consulate Milwaukee, WI
- Ingrid Fernandez Tamez, Mexican Consulate Milwaukee, WI
- Christine Zortman, Area Director, Milwaukee, WI
- Robert Bonack, Area Director, Appleton, WI
- Mark Hysell, Area Director, Eau Claire, WI
- Chad Greenwood, Acting Area Director, Madison, WI
- Kim Nelson, Area Director, Lansing, MI
- August 8, 2016 – Meeting; Alliance signing planning
- September 6, 2016 – Meeting: signing of the Alliance
- April 28, 2017 – Alliance planning meeting
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance’s progress and results.
September 6, 2016 – September 30, 2017
- September, 2016 – communication: coordinating dissemination of OSHA publications in Spanish to Mexican Consulate
- September 6, 2016 – OSHA’s Milwaukee, Appleton, Madison Wisconsin offices and Lansing, Michigan office sign the Alliance at the Mexican Consulate in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- September 6, 2016 - Provided (4) Spanish worker safety videos developed by OSHA for Consulate internal broadcast. Topics of information included Worker Safety Overview and Worker Rights, Heat, Restaurant Safety and Wage and Hour issues.
- September 6, 2016 - Intro to OSHA Presentation; Mexican Consulate in Milwaukee, WI providing education and resources to Hispanic workers and families. The event impacted 55 workers/families.
- March 28, 2017 – Joint session with EEOC Milwaukee Area Office, local OSHA office, Mexican Consulate, and state of Wisconsin EEOC on Labor Trafficking in the U.S. Consulate Representatives attended.
- April 28, 2017 – Workers Memorial Day event. OSHA participated in Mexican Consulate event at the Milwaukee, WI, Consulate to provide training and education to Hispanic workers on topics including Worker Rights, Wage and Hour, Heat, Falls, Temporary Workers, Construction Safety, and Agricultural work. The event impacted 90 workers/families.
- May 13, 2017 – OSHA participated in Mexican Consulate event (mobile consulate) in Green Bay, WI (St. Willerbord Parish) providing education and resources to 100 Hispanic workers and families.
- May 20, 2017 - OSHA participated in Mexican Consulate event (mobile consulate) in Wausau , WI (St. Matthew Catholic Church) providing education and resources to 85 Hispanic workers and families.
- June 3, 2017 OSHA participated in Mexican Consulate event (mobile consulate) in Appleton, WI (Goodwill NCW Community Campus) providing education and resources to100 Hispanic workers and families.
Training and Education
- Intermittently – Technical assistance was provided by the Milwaukee Area office on several occasions during the course of the evaluation period including incidents for a worker being terminated for reporting an injury, a Mexican national being severely injured in an explosion, and an overview of the principles of workers’ compensation for the Consulate.
- OSHA Spanish publications provided to the Consulate for distribution.
- None to report
The Alliance with the Mexican Consulate in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has opened opportunities to communicate and provide education and resources for under-served and oftentimes, a difficult to reach group of workers. The Alliance has been successful in having stakeholders attend meetings and mobile education events to promote the safety and health of the worker, in addition to educating workers on worker rights regarding workplace safety, workers’ compensation, wage and hour information, and whistleblower protection activities.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)||Number of Individuals Reached, Effected or Trained|
|Consulate event – Milwaukee, Wisconsin||55|
|Workers Memorial Day event – Milwaukee Wisconsin||90|
|Mobile Consulate event - Green Bay, Wisconsin||100|
|Mobile Consulate event – Wausau, Wisconsin||85|
|Mobile Consulate event – Appleton, Wisconsin||100|
This Alliance will expire on September 6, 2018, unless extended.
Report prepared by: Jim Lutz, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Milwaukee Area Office January 10, 2018Back to Top