U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Dr. Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Mobile OSHA Area Office Annual Status Report
Wiregrass Alliance with Small Business Development Centers
January 21, 2009
- Alliance Background:
January 21, 2003
OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management, and Wiregrass Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) formed the wiregrass alliance to promote safe and healthful working conditions for small business employers and employees in the Wiregrass Area. The group was joined by Durden Outdoor Displays, Incorporated, on August 16, 2005 and the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center July 20, 2006.
- Implementation Team Membership:
Included in the Implementation Team are representatives from OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management, Durden Outdoor Displays, Inc., the Wiregrass Chapter of the ASSE, and the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center.
These meeting were conducted as scheduled on:
- 1/25/2008 - Group Meeting
- 3/28/2008 - Group Meeting
- 6/27/2008 - Group Meeting
- 10/3/2008 - Safety Day for Small Business
- 12/10/2008 - Group Meeting
January 23, 2008 through December 23, 2008
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On April 18, 2008, the Wiregrass Alliance co-sponsored the Construction Safety Conference in Montgomery, Alabama focusing on construction small business.
- During the annual "Safe Day for Small Business," on October 3, 2008, a wide range of safety and health topics were addressed, including the OSHA Recordkeeping requirements, lockout/tagout, fall protection (commercial and residential construction), and the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program, as well as other.
- During this period, Wiregrass Alliance members provided safety and health training to students at Pike County High School in support of the Alabama Youth Alliance.
- During this period, Wiregrass Alliance members supported the train-the-trainer course conducted for Alabama educator in support of the Alabama Youth Alliance.
Outreach and Communication
- On October 3, 2008, the annual "Safe Day for Small Business" outreach event was conducted on the campus of Troy University in Dothan, Alabama.
- In conjunction with the "Safe Day for Small Business" in October 2008 an Alliance member, Durden Outdoor Sign, posted several billboards advertising the event.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Growth of the Annual Safe Day for Small Business
Date Event Participation October 2003 N/A N/A October 2004 N/A N/A October 20, 2005 Safety Day for Small Business 125 attendees October 19, 2006 Safety Day for Small Business 135 attendees October 5, 2007 Safety Day for Small Business 150 attendees October 3, 2008 Safety Day for Small Business 160 attendees
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2009:
- Alliance members are planning to participate in the annual "Safety Day for Small Business" in October 2009.
- Alliance members are planning to continue their support of local technical schools by providing safety training to students and educators in the Wiregrass area and working closely with the Alabama Youth Alliance.
Report Prepared by: Bill Bice, CAS
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-6932340 or go to OSHA.