U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
3737 Government Blvd., Suite 100
Mobile, Al 36693
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Mobile OSHA Area Office Annual Status Report
Wiregrass Alliance with Small Business Development Centers
March 7, 2006
- Alliance Background
January 21, 2003
OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management, and Wiregrass Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers formed the wiregrass alliance to promote safe and healthful working conditions for small business employers and employees in the Wiregrass Area. The group was joined by Durden Outdoor Displays, Incorporated, on August 16, 2005.
- Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Included in the Implementation Team are representatives from OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management and Durden Outdoor Displays, Incorporated, and the Wiregrass Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
January 21, 2005 to January 20, 2006
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- The alliance sponsored classes held in Dothan, Al to support small business training efforts in the wiregrass area including a class on Mold, Bio-Terrorism.
- In Feb 2006 a class was conducted on Disaster Site Worker Safety to support the hurricane relief efforts.
Outreach and Communication
- "Safe Day for Small Business" was held October 2005 with an estimated 125 attendees.
- October 2005 success story posted on the OSHA Alliance Web Page regarding the Wiregrass Alliance - http://www.osha.gov/dcsp/success_stories/alliances/regional/reg4_success_stories.html#Wiregrass
- In conjunction with the "Safe Day for Small Business" in October 2005 an Alliance member Durden Outdoor Sign posted a billboard advertising the event and small business.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- An alliance member, the Dothan Chamber of Commerce, had developed a safety section in the local office to provide information and materials to small business.
- Alliance participants also assisted OSHA with outreach by providing the zero turn letters to members in the wiregrass area.
Refer to the events list above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2007
- Alliance members to participate in the Annual "Safety Day" in the Wiregrass Area FY07
- Alliance members to support hurricane related training being provided to small business in the wiregrass area.
- Alliance members to support local technical schools to provide safety training to students and educators in the wiregrass area.