Back to Region IV
- Alliance Background
May 6, 2008
February 7, 2011
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the United Safety Council, Inc. (USC) Alliance is focused on reducing and preventing employee exposure to workplace hazards associated with disasters by developing and sharing information, guidance, and training resources on emergency preparedness and effective response.
June 1, 2010, through May 31, 2011
- Implementation Team Meetings
The implementation Team consists of representatives from the OSHA Area Office in Tampa, FL, and the United Safety Council, Inc. (USC). The group met on the following dates: June 4, 2010; June 24, 2010; October 25, 2010; February 3, 2011; February 25, 2011; April 18, 2011; and May 5, 2011.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the Alliance group conducted a total of 49 classes focused on: workplace violence; emergency preparedness; cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); first aid; automated external defibrillator (AED); and Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- During this period, the Alliance group, led by the USC, conducted eight OSHA 10 and 30-hour safety and health training courses. The courses were open to members and non-members.
1Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- On June 24, 2010, the Alliance group, led by OSHA, conducted a three-hour workshop focused on the prevention of heat-related illnesses. A total of 34 workers attended the event.
- On October 8, 2010, the Alliance group conducted a workshop focused on the “Benefits of Job Site Safety,” which was attended by eight workers.
- On December 1, 2010, the Alliance group conducted a Lunch and Learn session, which focused on Ergonomics. The event was attended by 19 workers.
- On February 25, 2011, the Alliance group conducted an accident investigation workshop for both members and non-members. The event was attended by 17 workers.
- On May 5, 2011, the Alliance group conducted a Lunch and Learn session for both members and non-members focused on: hazardous waste; and emergency procedures. The event was attended by 15 workers.
- During this period, the Alliance group distributed a wide range of OSHA outreach materials including the following: the Region IV Photo CD; the Region IV Resource CD; the Toolbox Review Pamphlet; the OSHA QuickCards.
During this period, the Alliance was effectively promoted at the following events:
- On June 2, 2010, at the Army Reserves Medical Command in St. Petersburg, FL.
- On July 23 and 24, 2010, at the Southeastern Building Conference in Orlando, FL.
- On September 28, 2010, at the Edison Electric Institute Conference in Orlando, FL.
- On October 19, 2010, at the Safety Products, Inc. Expo in St. Petersburg, FL.
- On January 12-14, 2011, at the National Association of Home Builders Conference in Orlando, FL.
- On January 18, 2011, at the International Motor Coach Group Conference in Tampa, FL.
- On January 28, 2011, at the USC Safety Awards Banquet.
- On January 25-26, 2011, at the Tent Expo in St. Petersburg, FL.
- On February 11, 2011, at the Technology Maintenance Council Conference in Tampa, FL.
- On March 4, 2011, at the Central Florida Federal Safety and Health Council Kick-off meeting at Kennedy Space Center.
- On April 12, 2011, at the National Association of Professional Employer Organizations annual conference held in Tampa, FL.
The United Safety Council Alliance was promoted during several OSHA outreach presentations conducted throughout Central Florida. During each presentations the benefits of working cooperatively with OSHA was shared with a national audience. Alliance members also discussed the achievements of the group, such as providing effective safety and health training to worker in all industries.
The alliance has brought many community safety professionals together for open discussion on how to reduce occupational hazards, especially small businesses, that do not have the resources to employ safety and/or health professionals.
Upcoming Milestones FY 2012
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number Reached or Trained
|Safety and health management
|Heat Stress Fact Sheet and Quick Cards
|Principal Emergency Response and Preparedness - Requirements and Guidelines
|National Photo Archive CD
|OSHA Publication CD
|How to Plan for Workplace Emergencies and Evacuations
|Region IV Construction Toolbox
|Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets
- On October 28, 2011, the Alliance group is scheduled to conduct a workshop focused on SHMS.
- The Alliance group will continue the Lunch and Learn series for members and non-members.
- The Alliance group will continue to work cooperatively with the University of South Florida OTI Ed Center.
- Continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- Continue and expand the offering of safety and health training for workers focused on emergency preparedness.
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov