|<< Back to Region IV
OSHA and the Sunshine Safety Council, Inc formed an Alliance to provide the
Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. members and others with information, guidance, and
access to training resources that will help protect employees’ health and safety
by implementing work zone safety and control programs and effective safety and
health management systems.
The annual status report for the Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. Alliance
initiated by the OSHA Area Office in Jacksonville, Florida, was completed on
December 9, 2004. The milestones and accomplishments achieved through this
Alliance are listed below:
Milestones met from December 11, 2003 through December 9, 2004.
The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc Alliance was signed on December 11, 2003.
Working together to achieve training and education goals:
- The Safety Council trained 303 employees and supervisors
on work zone safety through training programs that they developed.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. formed a cooperative
agreement with the International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) to
provide work zone related training to persons needing the IMSA certification.
- Work zone safety information was incorporated into the
Advanced Safety Management (ASM) and Principles of Safety Management (PSM)
courses where applicable. The courses included Corporate Driving & Fleet
Safety, Traffic Mishap Investigation, Incident Reporting & Investigation and
How to Develop a Safety Program.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. provided work zone
information and “talking points” to the Council’s staff of traffic safety
instructors for incorporation into their presentations to driver improvement
students. Through October, this information was made available to
approximately 6800 drivers.
Working together to achieve outreach and communication goals:
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. participated in IMSA’s
State Conference with a display booth and speaker.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. provided display and
safety material to be distributed at the IMSA national conference in Denver,
- OSHA provided information about the Alliance at the
Florida Workers Compensation Conference in Orlando in August 2004.
- OSHA published information on the Alliance in the January
2004 OSHA Region IV e-newsletter.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. dressed “Zelda” (a
mannequin) in proper work zone apparel and placed her in the window display to
communicate work zone safety.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. distributed information
during the Work Zone Awareness fair in Ft. Pierce in June 2004.
- OSHA provided work zone awareness training:
- February during the VPP Lunch and Learn at the Sunshine
Safety Council, Inc.
- March during the OSHA 10 hr course given at the Sunshine
Safety Council, Inc.
- March at the American Society of Safety Engineers roundup
and Lunch and Learn at the Sunshine Safety Council, Inc.
- September at the OSHA update Lunch and Learn at the
Sunshine Safety Council, Inc.
- October during the OSHA 500 course held at the Sunshine
Safety Council, Inc.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. aided the Jacksonville
Area Office by allowing the office to use their facilities for reproduction
and distribution of OSHA Fact Sheets during our efforts to provide technical
assistance during the recovery from Hurricanes Charley, Francis and Jeanne.
- Trimester meetings were held on January 13, 2004, August
8, 2004, and October 10, 2004.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. has had limited success
in their outreach and training programs in the Ft. Pierce, FL area. Their
office in Ft. Pierce is no longer in operation. As a result, they have
requested that we not renew the alliance with the Ft Lauderdale Area Office.
- OSHA will participate in new member breakfast meetings to
promote safety and health programs and VPP.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. submitted an FOIA
request to the Jacksonville Area Office in November to receive on a monthly
basis copies of citations issued to employers in the Volusia County area. This
information will be published in their newsletter.
- Joseph R. Roesler, Compliance Assistance Specialist
1851 Executive Center Drive, Suite 227
Jacksonville, Fl 32207
(904) 232-2895; Fax (904) 232-1294