I. Alliance Background:
Originally signed on December 11, 2003
Renewed on February 27, 2006
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Sunshine Safety Council, Inc formed
an Alliance to provide the Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. members and others with information,
guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect employees’ health and safety by
implementing work zone safety and control programs and effective safety and health management
Implementation Team Members
The implementation team consisted of representatives from the Northeast Florida Safety and Health
Council and the OSHA Area Office in Jacksonville, Florida.
Same as above
The Sunshine Safety Council Alliance milestone report covers the period January 1, 2006 through
December 31, 2006.
II. Implementation Team Meetings
Triennial Meetings: 03/03/06, 08/03/06, 12/6/06
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc., participated in the International Municipal Signal
Association’s (IMSA) State Conference with handout materials.
- The Sunshine Safety Council received recertification for the Florida Department of
Transportation’s 8-hour Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) Refresher Course.
- OSHA provided information about the Alliance at the Florida Workers Compensation Conference in
Orlando in August 2006.
- The Sunshine Safety Council partnered with other Florida Safety Councils to provide the MOT
refresher course throughout the state.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. displays “Zelda” (a mannequin) in proper work zone apparel in
its window display to communicate work zone safety to pedestrians and drivers.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc., has continued a cooperative relationship with the IMSA to
provide work zone related training to persons needing the IMSA certification.
- Work zone safety information was incorporated into the Council’s Principles of Safety
Management (PSM) courses where applicable. The courses included Incident Reporting &
Investigation, How to Develop a Safety Program, Loss Control and Employment Screening & Safety
- OSHA continues to post this
success story on the OSHA web page.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and
Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
|USDA Forestry Service Conference
|National Association of Minority Contractors
|Modular Builders Association Annual Conference
|Florida Rural Water Association meeting
|Volusia Manufacturers Association meeting
|Associated Builders and Contractors of Jacksonville
|Columbia County Builders Association Meeting
|Work zone safety training
||528 Employees and Supervisors
|Talking Points to Traffic Safety Instructors
|Various Safety and Health Fairs and the Senior Expo
||9441 - Individuals Reached or Trained
V. Upcoming Milestones
- OSHA will provide an OSHA update at an upcoming lunch-and-learn session.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. and the Jacksonville OSHA Area Office are looking into ways
that they can provide training and outreach for fleet safety. The main focus of this would be
awareness for employees to wear their seatbelts when driving for their employers.
- The Sunshine Safety Council, Inc. is providing help to the Jacksonville OSHA Area Office to get
an Alliance with the Volusia County Schools apprenticeship program.