|<< Back to Region IV
I. Alliance Background
September 26, 2003 and Renewed December 20, 2006
OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT work cooperatively to provide workers and others with information,
guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety,
particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT conducted effective meetings on - December
20, 2006, January 16, 2007, April 20, 2007, October 18, 2007 and November 14, 2007.
December 20, 2006, through December 19, 2007
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- The development of training and education programs for employees focusing on safety and health
issues related to the electrical utility industry is one of the goals of this agreement. A
detailed list of the training courses conducted and the number of personnel trained are provided
in the tables below. Course topics included grounding, OSHA 10-hour training course, supervisory
training, OSHA Power Transmission and Distribution Standard and others. However, these tables only
reflect the personnel trained by SELCAT.
Outreach and Communication
- During the period from January 2007 through July 2007, a presentation on the Alliance was made
to 88 apprentices attending the SELCAT FTS School.
- Representatives promoted the Alliance during numerous speaking and exhibiting opportunities.
Please refer to the second table listed below for additional details.
- In 2007, the Alliance document was posted on NECA’s Website, to promote the cooperative
agreement (www.slccneca.org). The Chapter Website also offers to the employees and member
companies an opportunity to communicate “near misses” with other participants.
- In 2007, a system was developed and implemented which enabled participating employers and
workers to best practices
- Developed and disseminated the Safety Alliance Update Quarterly Newsletter and Brochure to
reach over 2,000 employees and companies. To date two newsletters have been issued to the target
group for July 2007 and December 2007.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- In January 2007, Les Grove, Area Director, OSHA Region IV, Tampa, Florida, Area Office, and
Steve Gaines participated in a panel discussion, gave presentations on the Alliance and answered
participants' questions at the Outside Apprenticeship Conference in Orlando, Florida.
Approximately 200 employers and employees attended this meeting.
- In August 9-11, 2007, Bill Grimes, OSHA Region IV, Assistant Regional Administrator,
Cooperative and State Programs, Atlanta, Georgia, and Steve Gaines gave a presentation on the OSHA
and IBEW Alliance and the OSHA Strategic Partnership with the electrical industry at the Fifth
District IBEW meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. Approximately 170 Union Official and
representative attended this meeting.
The tables below reflect the training accomplished by SELCAT during 2007:
|First-Aid & CPR
|Bucket Truck Rescue
|Pole Top Rescue
|Fifth District Progress Meeting
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- Continue to promote the Alliance near-miss and best practices reporting systems.
- Promote the OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) to interested member companies in the
- Explore participation in the Construction Education Foundation of Georgia (CEFGA) CareerExpo in
- Develop schedule for Implementation Team Meetings in FY 2008
Projected meetings for 2008 are listed below:
March 19, 2008
June 18, 2008
September 17, 2008
December 17, 2008