|<< Back to Region IV
Project: IBEW, SELCAT & NECA Alliance focused on reducing and preventing exposure to electrical
transmission and distribution equipment hazards
Signed September 26, 2003
Overview of Goals
Training & Education Goals:
- Delivery of safety and health training to experienced workers, as well as apprentice linemen,
accomplished by the IBEW, SELCAT, and SLCC/NECA.
- Development of training and education programs for employees focusing on safety and health issues
related to the electrical utility industry.
- Develop workplace safety and health curricula focusing on the primary causes of fatal accidents in
the electrical utility industry, including improper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), failure to
maintain a safe distance, and failure to utilize proper equipotential grounding techniques.
Outreach & Communication Goals:
- Develop and disseminate information through print and electronic media.
- Speak, exhibit, or attend annual IBEW, SELCAT, and SLCC/NECA conferences, local labor meetings,
training sessions, or other events.
- Sharing industry safety and health-related best practices.
- Promote OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection
Program, Consultation, and SHARP.
Promoting National Dialogue on Workplace Safety Goals:
- Raise others’ awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to safety and health whenever IBEW,
SELCAT, and SLCC/NECA groups.
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and
publicize their results.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings to discuss
electrical industry safety and health issues.
Overview of Milestone Met in FY 2004
- During the December 2003 chapter meeting the alliance with OSHA was promoted.
- During Labor/Management meetings in Georgia, Florida and Arkansas the alliance with OSHA was
- Alliance was presented and copies provided to the NECA membership.
- Alliance was promoted in the NECA National Newsletter, distributed to 128 national and
- Developed a fact sheet addressing the health hazards of welding galvanized metals.
- Implementation team members attended the IBEW Tenth and Fifth District Progress meetings.
- Developed a Lineman/Foremen training course, which focuses on a wide range of safety and health
issues with the goal of changing the safety culture. An instructor for the course is currently being
- Developed a SELCAT safety training course, as well as a course catalog which list all of the
training courses offered by the organization.
Milestones Achievement Targeted in FY 2005:
- The NECA Electrical Contracting Foundation (ELECTRI 21) is currently researching equipotential
grounding. The results of the research conducted by ELECTRI 21 will be shared with OSHA.
- Implementation of Newsletter with information about alliance.
- Identify and share best practices between contractors.
- Conduct an injury prevention assessment to evaluate the alliance’s impact.
- Development of a unified industry safety manual