U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta West Area Office
1995 North Park Place Suite 525 Atlanta, GA 30339
Atlanta West Area Office Status Report
MUST Ministries Alliance
March 6, 2015
September 26, 2011
November 15, 2013
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Atlanta-West Area Office and MUST Ministries Alliance is focused on providing MUST Ministries clients and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers. Emphasis will be placed on effectively communicating with hard-to reach groups, such as the socio-economically disadvantaged workers and at-risk youth.
November 18, 2013 through November 21, 2014
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
The implementation team included representatives from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office and MUST Ministries. Quarterly implementation team meetings were conducted during the following periods: December 2013; January 2014; April 2014; and July 2014.
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- During this period, the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) in the Atlanta-West Area Office and an authorized trainer volunteering with MUST Ministries conducted an OSHA 10-hour safety and health course for general industry. The students were also provided with forklift safety training, which was conducted by Sunbelt Rentals. All of the students in the course were unemployed and actively looking for employment. Additionally, through donations from MUST Ministries and local employers, students that successfully completed the training session were provided with the following equipment: composite toe boots; reflective vest; gloves; eye protection; ear plugs; and helmet shade cloth. The total number of students that participated in each training session is provided below:
- December 2013 - 15 students participated in this training session.
- January 2014 - 14 students participated in this training session
- November 2014 - 15 students participated in this training session.
- During this period, a total of 44 students received safety and health training through the OSHA 10-hr course for General Industry and Forklift Safety. Additionally, around
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, MUST Ministries, a representative from the Georgia Utility Contractors Association (GUCA), a compliance safety and health officer (CSHO), and CAS participated in an outreach activity at Lockheed Elementary School. During this event the "Safe Each Day" coloring book was read to 160 students in the 3rd grade.
- On August 19, 2014, Rebecca Burns wrote an article that appeared in the Innovation Index 2014 section of the Atlanta Magazine wrote. The article addressed the success of the MUST Ministries, Employment Department. The complete article is available at - http://www.atlantamagazine.com/2014/must-ministries/#sthash.OEXpndcN.dpuf
Date Event Impacted December 2013, January 2014, and November 2014 Training Session 44 students1 December 2014 Coloring Book Reading 160 students Total: 204 students
1 60% of these students were later successfully placed in full-time job by MUST Ministries after receiving this training. By comparison, according to MUST Ministries, its other programs have an employment placement rate of 42%.
- Continue to effectively promote OSHA Fall and Heat Illness Prevention Campaigns through the MUST Ministries Alliance.
- Continue to effectively promote workplace safety and health rights to vulnerable workers through the MUST Ministries Alliance.
- Continue to effectively promote workplace safety and health during outreach visits to Title I elementary schools, through MUST Ministries Summer Reading Program for low income kids.
- Continue to work with MUST Ministries to provide effective safety and health training, such as the OSHA 10-hour courses for construction and general industries.
- Conduct a seminar through MUST Ministries, focused on Temp Agencies and Host Employers, as part of OSHA's Temporary Worker Initiative.
Report Prepared by: Marilyn M. Velez, Atlanta West Area Office - CAS
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at (202) 693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top