U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
OSHA, Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and Georgia Tech Alliance
Region IV Alliance Annual Status Report
January 21, 2009
- Alliance Background
December 7, 2004
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Consul General of
Mexico in Atlanta, and the Georgia Institute of Technology –Safety, Health, and
Environmental Technology Division (Georgia Tech) OSHA formed an Alliance to
provide Mexican workers throughout the southeast with information, guidance, and
access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and
safety and allow them to exercise their rights fully.
- Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, the Mexican Consulate and Georgia Tech conducted all
required quarterly meeting on the following dates:
- December 19, 2007
- January 23, 2008 – Complaint Screen Training provided to staff
- July 8, 2008 – Met new Consul General
December 7, 2006, through December 7, 2008
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On January 23, 2008, the Legal Protection Staff was provided safety and
health complaint screening training. Several copies of the safety and health
pamphlets developed by the Mexican Embassy and OSHA were distributed at this
Outreach and Communication
- The Atlanta-West CAS conducted a speech at the 2008 AGC Safety Conference,
"Leading today's multi-cultural construction industry," on March 28, 2008. The
Area Office had an exhibit booth and distributed safety and health outreach
material (including the brochures from OSHA and the Mexican Embassy).
- During September – October 2008, the Atlanta-West CAS participated at a
local Spanish radio show to promote the upcoming Binational Health Week –
Health Fair conducted by the Mexican Consulate.
• In October 2008, the Atlanta-West CAS supported the Mexican Consul
Binational Health Week – Health Fair.
- On October 23, 2008, the Mobile CAS met with a representative from the
Consulate General of Mexico (Atlanta, GA) in Dothan, Alabama. They discussed
several workplace safety and health issues, including the Safe Day for Small
Business conducted by the Wiregrass Alliance. This is an opportunity for
Hispanic workers to receive free safety and health training.
- On July 8, 2008, a representative from the OSHA Regional Office met with
the new Consul General, Mr. Salvador De Lara and discussed the OSHA Alliance.
- Copies of the bilingual DVD "Building a Safer Workplace for ALL: Safety
Resources for the Construction Industry", were distributed to the Mexican
Consulate, as well as other Hispanic safety and health outreach material
developed in Region IV. The DVD is was also posted at the following websites: www.eclmgz.com and www.consultationconnection.com. The sponsors of the DVD
are: OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office, El Constructor Latino Magazine, the
Atlanta Electrical Contractors Association and Timberland PRO.
- Refer to the events list above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2009
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator
- Develop ways of communicating such information (e.g. print, such as the
Mexican Consulate newsletter and electronic media, such as the OSHA Region
IV e-newsletter, as well as electronic assistance tools and OSHA’s, the
Mexican Consulate’s and Georgia Tech’s Web sites) to Mexican employers and
- OSHA will continue to support the Mexican Consul Binational Health Week
– Health Fair.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at
202-6932340 or go to OSHA.