U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
8040 Peters Road, Suite H-100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
Indian River State College Annual Status Report
October 2, 2009
- Alliance Background
September 19, 2008
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Indian River State College (IRSC) agreed to establish an Alliance to provide IRSC instructors, students, and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure hazards in the construction industry for young workers within the targeted communities of Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin and Okeechobee Counties.
Implementation of Team Members
The Fort Lauderdale OSHA Area Office and Indian River State College (IRSC)
September 19, 2008 - September 19, 2009
- Implementation Team Meetings
October 20, 2008, April 15, 2009, and April 27
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- During this period a total of 16 classes were scheduled addressing occupational safety and health, which were to focus on contractors and young workers who reside in the South Florida geographical area.
- On November 17 - 20, 2008, the Alliance group conducted a 20-Hour Construction Health & Safety in Fort Pierce, FL.
- On June 15 - 18, 2009, the YouthBuild /Expanding Horizons Program event took place in support of OSHA 2009 Teen Summer Job Safety Campaign in Fort Pierce, FL. Offered by the college's Corporate and Community Training Institute, the two-week program will provide students with a classroom learning curriculum focused on safety and health and the construction trades.
- On June 22 - 25, 2009, the YouthBuild /Expanding Horizons Program event took place in support of OSHA 2009 Teen Summer Job Safety Campaign in Fort Pierce, FL. Offered by the college's Corporate and Community Training Institute, the two-week program will provide students with a classroom learning curriculum focused on safety and health and the construction trades.
- On June 26, 2009, the Alliance group conducted an "Introduction to OSHA" safety training course for construction contractors in Fort Pierce, FL.
Outreach and Communication
- The two-week YouthBuild/Expanding Horizons Program conducted in Fort Pierce, FL, in support of the OSHA 2009 Teen Summer Job Safety Campaign was promoted through an OSHA news release.
- The group conducted a meeting to discussed upcoming events sponsored by Indian
River State College and distributed various safety & health outreach material
such as the following:
- Region IV Photo
- Region IV Falls CDs
- Residential Roofing safety package
- Tool Box Review Booklets
- OSHA Quick Cards
Safety and health related OSHA training sessions were provided to over 500+ participants in South Florida, which has assisted in the reduction of the number of construction related injuries resulting in workplace fatalities in Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin, and Okeechobee Counties.
Additional outreach and education training sessions and materials in construction and general industry was disseminated in Fort Pierce, FL
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Quick Cards Distributed 250 ONLINE OSHA OTI 10 Hour Courses 2 ONLINE OSHA OTI 30 Hour Courses 1 20 Hour Construction Safety 1 Intro to OSHA for Construction Contractors 28 Intro to OSHA for young students 240 Fall CDs 25 Residential roofing safety packages 30 TOTAL 577
- Upcoming Milestones for FY 2010
- Continue to promote occupational safety and health in Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin, and Okeechobee Counties.
- Continue to partner with University of South Florida OTI Ed center to host OSHA courses
- Continue to promote safety and health management systems
Report Prepared by: Juan Torres, Compliance Assistance Specialist
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at (202) 693-2340 or go to OSHA's website.Back to Top