U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
Region IV - OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT Alliance
Annual Status Report
June 26, 2015
September 26, 2003
The Alliance was renewed on the following dates: December 20, 2006; July 1, 2011; and April 11, 2014.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Southeastern Line Constructors Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association (SLCC/NECA), the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) 5th and tenth districts, and the Southeastern Line Constructors Apprenticeship and Training (SELCAT) work cooperatively to provide workers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution equipment hazards.
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT conducted effective meetings on the following dates: September 23, 2014; December 3, 2014; and April 8, 2015;
May 31, 2014, through May 30, 2015
Events and Products
Training and Education
- During this period, the following training session and safety presentation were conducted for Alliance group members:
- On April 8, 2015, Terry Wilkins, a safety engineer with the OSHA Atlanta Regional Office, conducted a presentation on the “Revised Subpart V (29 CFR 1926.950-968)” and “Revised 29 CFR 1910.269.”
- SELCAT continued its efforts to provide workers with effective training and education programs focusing on electrical utility industry issues, as well as safety and health. Course topics included the following:
- OSHA 10-hour training course
- First-Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation(CPR)
- Pole Top and Bucket Truck Rescue
- Transformer Safety Courses 1 & 2
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the following OSHA safety and health stand-down events were promoted to the Alliance group:
- The OSHA Region IV Landscaping Safety Stand-down conducted April 8 through 10, 2015.
- The OSHA National Fall Safety Stand-down conducted May 4 through 15, 2015.
- The OSHA Region IV Heat Illness Prevention Campaign Stand-down conducted June 16, 2015.
- During this period, the Alliance group continued to offer employees and member companies the opportunity to share their near-miss information with other participants through the NECA Chapter Web site.
- During this period, the group continued to publish and distribute the Safety Alliance Update Quarterly Newsletter, which reaches over 1,600 employees and companies.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiative
- Refer to the actions listed above.
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2014 - 2015
- OSHA, the SLCC/NECA, the IBEW (represented by the 5th and tenth districts), and SELCAT will work to renew the Alliance agreement.
- The Alliance group will continue to disseminate the quarterly Alliance newsletter.
- The Alliance group will continue to effectively implement a culture change within the electrical power transmission and service industry.
- Continue to encourage interested State Plan Programs to support and participate in the Alliance
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance CoordinatorBack to Top