U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Workplace Violence Alliance - Annual Report
July 26, 2007
- Alliance Background
June 10, 2006Overview:
OSHA, Deep South Center, Safe State, EAP Lifestyle Management, Thomas Hospital, Infirmary Health System, Mercy Medical, Community Health Systems and Select Physical Therapy (formerly HEALTHSOUTH) established an Alliance to provide healthcare workers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employee's health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to workplace violence issues.
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Members consist of OSHA, Deep South Center (UAB), EAP Lifestyle Management, Thomas Hospital, Safe State Onsite Consultation Program, Mercy Medical, Community Health Systems and Select Physical Therapy (formerly HEALTHSOUTH)
Contributors: Same as above.
June 9, 2006, through July 16, 2007
- Implementation Team Meetings:
June 9, 2006, September 8, 2006, December 15, 2006, February 9, 2007, March 16, 2007, April 13, 2007, May 11, 2007, June 1, 2007, June 14, 2007, and July 16, 2007
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On June 15, 2007, the group conducted a Workplace Violence Symposium on the Montgomery,
Alabama, campus of Auburn University. The event was attended by 65 health care professionals. The
following topics were addressed at the event:
- Workplace Violence Prevention Strategies and Research Needs
- From the Crime Scene to the Emergency Room
- Arm Yourself: Workplace Violence - Education Prevention Intervention
- Preparing a Workplace Violence Policy Plan
- Group developed a wallet-size tip card for employees in the health industry, regarding the prevention workplace violence incidents.
Outreach and CommunicationEvent
- An article about the June 15, 2007, Workplace Violence Symposium appeared in the Houston Online newsletter
- The DVD "Violence of the Job," which was developed by the CDC-NIOSH was distributed to the Alliance members.
- A list of workplace violence prevention resources were distributed to the Alliance members. The
listing included the following resources:
OSHA Workplace Violence page:
- Workplace Violence
- OSHA Recommendations for Workplace Violence Prevention Programs in Late-Night Retail Establishments (PDF*)
- Risk Factors and Protective Measures for Taxi and Livery Drivers (PDF*)
OSHA Funded material:
- Workplace Violence Awareness training materials for two hour, four hour and eight hour presentations, training handbook and posters Auburn University http://www.atn.auburn.edu/wvp/top_link_c.asp
NIOSH Occupational Violence page:
- Occupational Violence
- NIOSH Publication No. 2004-100d, Violence on the Job
- Violence Occupational Hazards in Hospitals
- Violence on the Job DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2004-100D (DVD) A training and educational DVD from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NIOSH Current Intelligence Bulletin #57: Violence in the Workplace: Risk Factors and Prevention Strategies DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 96-10 (July 1996)
- NIOSH Alert: Preventing Homicide in the Workplace
- DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 93-109 (May 1995)
- Minnesota Workplace Violence Prevention , A Comprehensive Guide for Employers and Employees
- Workplace Violence: Awareness and Prevention for Employers and Employees
- Robberies and Abusive Customers: Tips for Preventing Injuries (PDF*)
- Sample workplace violence prevention policy - for a health care facility (PDF*)
- Workplace Violence Manual, Hawaii's comprehensive manual that addresses workplace violence prevention, intervention, and recovery initiatives
- Security Portal for Information System Security Professionals, Workplace Violence Prevention Guidelines: http://www.infosyssec.net/infosyssec/security/corpsafe1.htm
- International Association of Chiefs of Police, Combating Workplace Violence: http://www.theiacp.org/pubinfo/pubs/pslc/pslc1.toc.htm
- Alliance members have been selected to participate in the development of the new Hospital e-tool by OSHA.
- In 2006 a billboard funded by the alliance members was installed in Mississippi supporting the message of work zone safety during rebuilding efforts in the gulf coast.
- On June 15, 2007, the group conducted a Workplace Violence Symposium on the Montgomery, Alabama, campus of Auburn University. The event was attended by 65 health care professionals. The following topics were addressed at the event:
Refer to the Training and Education events above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- Provide training on workplace violence prevention to healthcare workers and others throughout the State of Alabama.
- Alliance members will provide feedback on the development of material focused on the prevention of workplace violence for the OSHA Hospital e-tool.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top