AGREEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
GULF COAST MARITIME SAFETY ASSOCIATION
ALABAMA CHAPTER OF THE PHYSICAL THERAPY ASSOCIATION
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Gulf Coast Maritime Safety Association (GCMSA) and Alabama Physical Therapy Association (ALAPTA) recognize the value of establishing a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA, GCMSA, and ALAPTA hereby form an Alliance to provide GCMSA and ALAPTA members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to ergonomic hazards in the maritime industry. In developing this Alliance, OSHA, GCMSA, and ALAPTA recognize that OSHA's State Plan and Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
OSHA and GCMSA and ALAPTA will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- Develop training and education programs on ergonomic hazards in the maritime industry.
- Ergonomic injury prevention courses will be delivered by GCMSA and ALAPTA.
- ALAPTA will develop workplace safety and health curricula on preventing or reducing back injuries.
OSHA and GCMSA and ALAPTA will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Develop and disseminate information through print and electronic media, including electronic tools and links from OSHA's Web site.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at GCMSA and ALAPTA conferences, local meetings, and the annual Safety & Health Expo.
- Share information on ergonomic best practices in the maritime industry, as jointly determined by OSHA, GCMSA and ALAPTA, with the same as well as others in the industry and publicize the results through outreach by GCMSA, ALAPTA and OSHA or GCMSA, ALAPTA and OSHA-developed training programs and materials.
OSHA, GCMSA and ALAPTA will work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise others' awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health whenever GCMSA and ALAPTA leaders address groups.
- Convene or participate in forums during events such as the annual Safety Expo to discuss ergonomic issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
OSHA's Alliances provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party's products or services; nor does the Agency enter into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular party's products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of all organizations will meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least quarterly to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance
This agreement will remain in effect for two years. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice. This agreement may be modified at any time with the concurrence of all signatories.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile, AL Area Office
Gulf Coast Maritime Safety Association
Federal Government Affairs Liaison
Alabama Physical Therapy Association