U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta-East Area Office
LaVista Perimeter Office Park
Building 7, Suite 110
Tucker, Georgia 30084
(770) 493-6644; Fax (770) 493-7725
Atlanta-East, Atlanta-West Area, and Savannah Offices
Georgia Youth Alliance Annual Report
Report Date: June 12, 2008
June 6, 2006
OSHA, GLS-AIHA, GA-ASSE, CEFGA, GA DOE and Georgia Tech hereby form an Alliance to provide career/technical education teachers, students and others with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help protect career/technical education students' health and safety in the construction and general industries.
Implementation Team Memberships and Contributors:
The implementation team members included representatives from OSHA, GLS-AIHA, GA-ASSE, CEFGA, GA DOE and Georgia Tech. Implementation team meetings were conducted as scheduled on 7/13/07, 9/6/07, 11/14/07, 1/7/08 and 2/14/08.
The Implementation Team Contributors included representatives from the US DOL - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) and the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
June 6, 2007, through June 6, 2008
Events and Products
Training and Education
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at Maxwell High School, August 15 -21, 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at Adairsville High School, September 17 - 18, 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to students in the Fulton County - YouthBuild Program, September 27, 28 and October 18, 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students in Cass High School, November 15 -16, 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour General Industry safety and health training was provided the member of the Kell High School, FIRST Robotics Team, December 1 and 8, 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at Dekalb North - High School of Technology in January 2008.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to students in the Fulton County - YouthBuild Program, May 5 and 7, 2008.
Outreach and Communication
- On July 18, 2007, members of the Georgia Youth Alliance participated in the Georgia Association for Career Technical Educators (GACTE) Conference in Marietta, GA.
- January 26, 2008, members of the Georgia Youth Alliance participated in the Trade and Industrial Educators of Georgia (TIEGA) Conference in Newnan, GA.
- April 24 - 25, 2008, the group participated in the Construction CareerExpo at the Gwinnett County
Fairgrounds. This event includes exhibitors, demonstrations and hands-on activities. The Expo is
also conducted in conjunction with the Skills USA competitions. A booth was staffed at the event
with representatives from OSHA, Georgia Tech Onsite Consultation Program and the US DOL - WHD.
- Total conference participants 4,193 including 515 company volunteers, 180 student competitors, as well as 3,498 students, teaches and counselors.
- The event was not limited to students interested in careers in construction, since CEFGA provided free shuttle service between the SkillsUSA hotel site and the Construction CareerExpo
- The event was supported by 92 schools and 150 companies.
- On May 20, 2008, a member of the Georgia Youth Alliance group conducted a presentation on OSHA's Youth Initiatives for the US DOL - ETA, and several of its YouthBuild grantees in Region IV.
- Members of the Georgia Youth Alliance participated the following career day events throughout the
- Fain Elementary School on January 16, 2008
- Grayson High School on February 13, 2008
- Bethune Elementary School on February 26, 2008
- Browns Mill Elementary School on March 27, 2008
- SW Dekalb High School on April 24, 2008
- Georgia Youth Alliance members distributed the Drug-free Workplace posters and stickers developed by the National Drug-Free Workplace Alliance
- An OSHA Success Story was developed regarding the Georgia Youth Alliance and posted on the OSHA Alliance Web Page
- The group developed an outreach brochure for youth interested in working in the construction industry, "Child Labor Law Exemptions for Student Learners and Apprentices." The brochure was distributed to school systems throughout the State by the CEFGA.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Alliance was promoted at the Workforce Development Taskforce meeting. These meetings address
the needs for vocational instruction and training. These meetings were conducted at the following
locations throughout Georgia:
- Milledgeville, GA, on August 30, 2007
- Forsyth, GA, on December 6, 2007
- Albany, GA, on February 5, 2008
- Gray, GA, on February 20, 2008
- Albany, GA, on April 8, 2008
- Valdosta, GA on April 9, 2008
- Thomaston, GA, on April 10, 2008
- Albany, GA, on May 3, 2008
- Albany, GA, on June 3, 2008
- Macon, GA, on June 5, 2008
- An article about the efforts of the Alliance group was featured in the North Bartow News on September 25, 2007 and the Daily Tribune (Adairsville, GA) September 19, 2007.
OSHA 10-Hour Training Course
Maxwell High School
Adairsville High School
Fulton County - YouthBuild Program
Cass High School
Dekalb North - High School of Technology
Kell High School
Fulton County - YouthBuild Program
School Career Day Events and Other Youth Outreach
Event Sponsor/High School
Fain Elementary School Career Day
Grayson High School Career Day
Bethune Elementary School Career Day
SW Dekalb High School Career Day
Browns Mill Elementary School Career Day
CEFGA Construction CareerExpo
Pickens High School Safety and Health Training
Youth Build CHRC Focus four hazard training
Other Outreach Activities
7/18/07 Georgia Association for Career Technical Educators (GACTE) Conference
1/25-26/08 Trade and Industrial Educators of Georgia (TIEGA) Conference-Presentation
Trade and Industrial Educators of Georgia (TIEGA) Conference-Presentation
3/28-29/08 Professional Landscape Network (PLANET) Student Career Days
900 high school and college students
2/7/08 Introduction to OSHA for Teen Workers conducted at East Dublin High School, In Dublin, GA
4/8/08 Introduction to OSHA for Teen Workers conducted at Monroe High School, Albany, GA
4/8/08 Introduction to OSHA for Teen Workers conducted at Leesburg High School, in Leesburg, GA
- Continue to provide OSHA 10-hour training for Construction Career Technology students at High Schools and YouthBuild Programs throughout Georgia.
- Continue to provide OSHA 10-hour training for Career Technology students at High Schools throughout Georgia, pursuing careers in general industry.
- Continue to participate in School Career Day Programs throughout Georgia, to promote careers in workplace safety and health.
- Continue to participate in the Construction CareerExpo led by the Construction Education Foundation of Georgia (CEFGA). This event includes exhibitors, demonstrations, hands-on activities and the Skills USA competitions.