U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Ft. Lauderdale Area Office
Jacaranda Executive Court
1000 South Pine Island Road, Suite 100
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
(Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville and Tampa Area Offices)
Florida Crane Safety Alliance - Annual and Close-out Report
June 10, 2014
- Alliance Background
February 12, 2009
June 10, 2011 and August 7, 2013
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and Jacksonville Area Offices; the Associated Builders and Contractors' (ABC) Florida East Coast, Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida and Florida First Coast Chapters; the Associated General Contractors of American (AGC) South Florida, Florida East Coast, and Greater Florida Chapters; the Construction Association of South Florida (CASF); the Florida Crane Owners' Council, Inc. (FCOC); the Florida Transportation Builders' Association (FTBA); and Crane Tech, LLC agreed to continue a collaborative agreement to provide members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources focused on the reduction and prevention of crane accidents.
Implementation Team Membership
Members consist of OSHA, ABC Florida East Coast, Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida and Florida First Coast Chapters; AGC South Florida, Florida East Coast, and Greater Florida; CASF, FCOC, and Crane Tech, LLC.
June 10, 2013 through June 10, 2014
- Implementation Team Meetings
These meetings were conducted on the following dates: 7/16/2013; 11/4/2013; and 2/21/2014
- Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- On February 21, 2014, the CAS from the Fort Lauderdale Area Office conducted a presentation regarding changes to the crane standard at the Florida Crane Owners meeting in Orlando, FL.
- On June 3, 2014, a representative from Sims Crane, which is a member of the Alliance group, conducted training on cranes and rigging for the OSHA Jacksonville Area Office staff.
- On June 4, 2014, a representative from the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) conducted a presentation on the crane standard. The presentation focused on the role of the lift director, as well as the certification requirements for the crane operator.
Outreach and Communication
- On October 17, 2013, the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) from the OSHA Fort Lauderdale Area Office participated in a Crane Safety Management seminar. The CAS staffed a booth and distributed safety and health outreach material at the sponsored by Sims Crane.
- During this period, the Alliance group effectively promoted the Florida Crane Safety Alliance at the following outreach and training events:
- Safety and health committee meetings conducted by participating organizations including the South Florida Chapter, Associated General Contractors (AGC) of America, the Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC), Inc., and the Construction Association of South Florida (CASF).
- Workers' Compensation Safety Seminars conducted across the State of Florida.
- Course conducted by the University of South Florida (USF) OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Education Center including the following: OTI Course 500, Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction Industry; OTI Course 502, Update for Construction Industry Outreach Trainers; and OTI Course 510, Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction Industry.
- During this period, the Alliance group also continued to distribute the Florida Crane Safety - wallet card. The wallet card provides contractors and workers with information on their responsibilities regarding the safe operation of cranes. Approximately 5,000 crane wallet cards have been distributed to workers across the State of Florida.
10/17/2014 Crane Management Seminar
5/2013-5/2014 75- Workers' Compensation Safety Seminars throughout Florida
6/10/13 thru 6/10/2014 Presented information on crane safety including list of most frequently cited violations at AGC, ABC, CASF and Florida Crane Owners' meetings.
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2014-2015
Report Prepared by: Vergie Bain, CAS – Ft. Lauderdale Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.Back to Top